The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just started my first sourdough starter. Hope to be giving it a try this weekend.
Exciting. Any idea what you want to bake?

The only downside to bread with big holes in it is that the toppings always fall through the holes... :laugh:

Cheese and ham to the rescue here, though you can laminate any loose filling with sliced ham[1].
Or at a push a lettuce leaf might be actually useful :whistle:

[1] ox tongue, haslet, corned beef, smoked salmon etc.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Fresh from the oven, two soured cream sandwich loafs. Well, yoghurt loafs as I didn't have any soured cream and yoghurt works just as well.

20200524_181020.jpg

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
How did it go?
Not quite as well as I'd hoped but OK. Dough was very sticky, even after the final shape. Followed instructions from "Bake with Jack" which has no kneading, just a stretch and fold technique, and it came out a little flatter than I expected (Spread when out of the mould, probably cos it was wetter that I think it should have been) Taste was very good though, even Mrs H said it was nice and she's not a great sourdough fan. Now Ive got a starter going will try again next week. Might try Paul Hollywoods recipies which has more kneading in it.
as we ate the full loaf yesterday/today just made a 50/50 plain/wholemeal loaf which was really well risen and tasty. Do love that first slice when still warm from the oven!

Top Bottom