The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Do you feed the whole street every weekend?

Actually today I did. Pam next door had a baguette for lunch, the focaccia was shared with Pam and Julie next door but one, they also got some mackerel pate and crackers . The rest will freeze for the week.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
We have a street party tomorrow. Everyone has to stay in their own driveway/front garden. I have done a baking session for it:

We have a loaf for sandwiches. I forgot to cross the top with a sharp knife.
Mini potato, garlic and cheese pies.
Irish potato bread for breakfast.
A ginger cake. Should have done the cake yesterday so it could have had an extra day in the fridge.

That is blackcurrant gin in the background. When ready it tastes worryingly like Ribena.

Managed to get my little mitts on 20kg of Elephant Atta previous week as mentioned upthread. Happy Reynard :girldance:

It's actually one of my go-to bread flours anyways. But it does make a banging bread. So those of you who have some in (or 80% extraction brown flour, as that's what it is) then try this...

100g wholemeal rye
250g atta
250g white
12g salt
2 tbsp oil
5g DA yeast
400g tepid water.

Put the rye flour with 150g of the water in a bowl and leave for 24 hours. Then make up a dough with the soaker and the rest of the ingredients. Bulk ferment, knock back, shape and prove etc as per usual. You can use more or less yeast depending on how much time you have.

This is quite a soft and tacky dough with the rye and the 67% hydration, but trust me, it makes a lovely loaf.

For my oven, this wants 45 mins; 25 mins at 230C fan in my clay pot with the lid on, then a further 20 mins at 190 with the lid off.

I've managed to demolish a third of a loaf for lunch. :hungry:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A few weeks back, Morrisons was doing that Atta flour at £6 for 20kg sack. I’ve no room for that so gave it a miss as I have a 3kg bag anyway. This week they’re selling a 16kg sack of plain flour for £9, Heygates I think.

CharlesF

Guru
@figbat sounds good stuff, have to wait until things settle down and Wessex Mills reopens

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I know some of you buy flour in bulk. How do you store it?

I've placed an order with Shipton Mill and they say to store the sack either in a crock or a clean metal bin. Well I can easily find a metal bin but it's not the most attractive solution. Does anyone have a source for a crock?

Now I can be a bit more relaxed about using the flour I have - I've ordered enough to last me for the rest of the year!

Top Bottom