The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Shipton Mill specifically say not plastic :smile:
Indeed. Probably less important for white flours but with more oil-rich wholemeal flours there is the chance of oil/plastics interaction. They also talk about allowing the flour to ‘breathe’ to avoid ‘sweating’, which I’d assume is water and/or oily vapours emitting from the flour and potentially binding it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is everyone else still having difficulty finding bread flour other than white?

All that my supermarkets have is white and the occasional bag of wholemeal, no spelt and most importantly, no rye which is what I feed my starter with.

And don’t get me started on yeast and the barstewards hoarding it to sell on that auction site at ten times(!) the normal retail price. 🤬

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Is everyone else still having difficulty finding bread flour other than white?

All that my supermarkets have is white and the occasional bag of wholemeal, no spelt and most importantly, no rye which is what I feed my starter with.

And don’t get me started on yeast and the barstewards hoarding it to sell on that auction site at ten times(!) the normal retail price. 🤬
Yep. Tried two large supermarkets last night. No bread flour of any variety and very little plain or self raising.
I fail to see how the spike in demand from early April hasn't now passed ... or been addressed.

Other than the 20 kg of Atta that I bagged in Tesco a fortnight ago, not a sniff of anything in there - bread flour or otherwise. Haven't been anywhere else in Ely or Littleport, so can't say what it's like in the other supermarkets.

The baking aisle in Tesco has been denuded since mid March, and when I went on Tuesday, the shelves where the flour normally resides have actually been dismantled.

No yeast either. Or baking powder.

Just realising how damn lucky I was to get that chapatti flour...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I got wholemeal in Morrisons on Thursday, along with plain and self-raising, one bag of each. They appear to be taking it from bulk supplies and splitting it into their own brown paper bags. 60p per kg.

I also picked up some fresh yeast at their bakery department. Never thought I'd be so excited to see a bag of yeast! Just 20p for 50g.

So today I'm baking a seeded wholemeal bloomer which is coming out of the oven in a few minutes.

Mmmmm, next time I'm in Tesco, I might enquire in the ISB whether they have fresh yeast.

They're still baking bread and pastries, but everything is now packaged, nothing loose or sliced.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Here's the seeded wholemeal bloomer, recipe by Jack Sturgess.

View attachment 522763
Bloomin' marvellous!
Came across Jack's YT channel recently; he's a sound lad. I've learned a lot since watching.
Wonder if he knows why we can't get flour? 🤔

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Bloomin' marvellous!
Came across Jack's YT channel recently; he's a sound lad. I've learned a lot since watching.
Wonder if he knows why we can't get flour? 🤔

Thanks.

I’m a recent follower of Bake with Jack too and he’s damn good at both baking and at teaching you how to do it. I love his straightforward approach, no fancy terminology or frippery, just the facts.

Initially I thought his delivery might get annoying but , as you say, he’s a sound lad and his enthusiasm is endearing and infectious.

Anyone else watch his YouTube channel? It’s well worth it as he shares absolutely all of his knowledge.

figbat

Slippery scientist
BBC Newsround have alternative suggestions to try if you can't get your hands on any flour:
View attachment 523122
Unfortunately they don't provide recipes, so if anyone can help me with one for 'soda bread, no-yeast pizza dough, naan breads, potato scones, or dumplings' which needs no flour, I'd be grateful. 🤔
I'm pretty sure they meant "yeast". All of those need flour, but none need yeast.

Top Bottom