The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Do you have a recipe for that? I've given up on keeping a starter, as I seem to be the only one that eats sourdough in our house, so not worth the effort, but something that doesn't require keeping a starter would be great.
Put your starter in a sealed jar (something like a Kilner jar) in the fridge, it forms a black film over the top and keeps for ages. I haven't made a sourdough anything for probably a year, but I'm very confident that my starter will be Ok (I've left it longer than that before). You just take it out, add flour and water and use as normal after a day or so.

C R

Guru
Put your starter in a sealed jar (something like a Kilner jar) in the fridge, it forms a black film over the top and keeps for ages. I haven't made a sourdough anything for probably a year, but I'm very confident that my starter will be Ok (I've left it longer than that before). You just take it out, add flour and water and use as normal after a day or so.
I've tried that, but eventually mold starts growing. I've read that surface mold can be removed and the starter is safe, but I don't really want to risk it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oooh. One thing we've been talking about with the children was making some cheese. I have fond memories of having curds on fresh bread when my mum made cheese.

Do you use rennet or vinegar to get started? I was planning to use vinegar, as I don't know where to get the rennet from.

My ricotta came from this recipe, using whole milk, cheese salt and citric acid.

You can buy rennet from loads of online shops.

If you make your starter damn near a solid dry ball with loads of flour it'll keep for ages without mould, break it open and use the core to restart the process (though all of can be used).

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I used wholemeal spelt as that’s all I have at present.
The cooking time was about 11/12 minutes.

Thanks for sharing the recipe Dave123, I had the end of a bag of white spelt and this used it up nicely. I didn't have nigella seeds so used linseeds instead.

It made 5 trays of crackers and my wife ate three of them at lunchtime :blush:.

20200413_140514.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
I made a low-yeast, overnight bread this morning. Well it started last night: a simple 500g flour/320ml water/0.25 tsp yeast/bit of salt dough, roughly mixed and kneaded a little, then rested for an hour, then book-folded three times with 30 minute intervals, then proved overnight in the garage (coolest place available), then book-folded once more this morning, shaped and put into a loaf tin, proved again in a warm place then baked.

It turns out with a close, springy structure not unlike a sourdough and a somewhat similar flavour (especially in the crust). It means I can have a fresh loaf ready for lunch without having to get up at the crack of sparrow’s. Plus it extends the yeast you may have available (I used dried).

E23303D3-DA6C-4DAF-A67F-9AF609BBEEA1.jpeg

A6BBF168-9943-498A-895E-15AFCB97090B.jpeg

Proto

Legendary Member
Novice alert!!

Anyone got a good recipe for wholemeal spelt bread?

This will be my third loaf. First was excellent, second, in theory the same, came out less good (possibly oven too hot). I had used recipe on side of flour bag (Sharpham Park) but it got thrown away when empty. Doh!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
No bread today but I had a baking day yesterday. I made a ginger cake that is maturing in the fridge for a day or two. I made mini Homity Pies using wholemeal flour (Atta) and then had some potato left over; around 500g or so.
With that I made some Irish Potata Bread. I have a potato ricer so put the still hot potatoes through that. Whilst it was still warm, I hand mixed the potato with a good pinch of salt and 130g of plain flour. Hand mix until a dough forms. I divided the dough into two and rolled it out as round as I could keep it to about 10mm thick. Cut into quarters and prick each slice with a fork.

I then left mine on a floured plate as we didn't need it until tea time. I cooked it on a cast iron hot plate that I had very lightly floured. After 2 or 3 minutes you'll see sort of small air pockets forming. Turn with a flexible knife or slice and cook on the other side for a similar time. Butter and serve! My son just popped the last slice into the toaster and it did fine:

With a couple of the pies for lunch.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Novice alert!!

Anyone got a good recipe for wholemeal spelt bread?

This will be my third loaf. First was excellent, second, in theory the same, came out less good (possibly oven too hot). I had used recipe on side of flour bag (Sharpham Park) but it got thrown away when empty. Doh!

I've not made a wholemeal spelt loaf but I have found the recipes on Dove's site to be reliable. Here's their recipe for what you're after https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/spelt-bread

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

After the success of the ciabatta last month, I am trying another Gino d'Acampo recipe; panini al latte.
20200419_140854.jpg

The dough is currently resting and should be ready to bake around 4pm. I might do a seeded top on them.

20200419_143846.jpg

I'm doing half quantities so this dough is only for four panini.

Top Bottom