The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Latest effort, getting better!
This was a mix of flours (convenience, not experiment as such), French bread and strong white. Using Allinson's Easy bake yeast with just one knead and prove.
Practice makes perfect!

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
After having to ditch my starter a week ago and begin all over again I thought I'd do an overnight sourdough. I know this to be quite a wet dough so I floured the top of it and the tea-towel heavily to prevent it from sticking.

It stuck.

20200410_153106.jpg

By the time I had carefully teased the cloth away from the dough, it had spread out like a pancake and looked like a total dough-saster. I'd come this far, the oven and pot were piping hot and I hate waste so I baked it anyway. What's the worst that could happen?

40 minutes later I had this tangy loaf 👇

20200411_092907.jpg

So, never give up! You can nearly always eat the result, even if you only make it into croutons or whizz it up for breadcrumbs.

C R

Guru
After having to ditch my starter a week ago and begin all over again I thought I'd do an overnight sourdough. I know this to be quite a wet dough so I floured the top of it and the tea-towel heavily to prevent it from sticking.

It stuck.

View attachment 514177

By the time I had carefully teased the cloth away from the dough, it had spread out like a pancake and looked like a total dough-saster. I'd come this far, the oven and pot were piping hot and I hate waste so I baked it anyway. What's the worst that could happen?

40 minutes later I had this tangy loaf 👇

View attachment 514179

So, never give up! You can nearly always eat the result, even if you only make it into croutons or whizz it up for breadcrumbs.
Do you have a recipe for that? I've given up on keeping a starter, as I seem to be the only one that eats sourdough in our house, so not worth the effort, but something that doesn't require keeping a starter would be great.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do you have a recipe for that? I've given up on keeping a starter, as I seem to be the only one that eats sourdough in our house, so not worth the effort, but something that doesn't require keeping a starter would be great.

It still needs a starter. My previous one failed on me so a week ago I started a new one and it only became active enough yesterday. Sorry if that wasn’t clear in my previous post.

The recipe I use is from Shipton Mill’s site and is called Tom’s overnight no-knead sourdough.

If you keep your starter in the fridge it is much easier to maintain and you can keep it very small until the day before you need to use it, at which point you remove it, feed it so it is 10g over the amount you need for your recipe and use it once it’s fully active. The remaining 10g can go back in the fridge until you want another loaf.

(Edited to remove duplicate word)

Last edited:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Can you share the recipe?
But of course. I didn't have any young pecorino so substitued mature cheddar instead. Probably not in keeping with the Italian theme, but hey, needs must....
Crescia di Formaggio – Easter Bread
Resembling a savoury panettone, Crescia Easter Bread takes various forms depending on the area from which it hails, be that Le Marche, Umbria and even Tuscany. It can be cooked in a terracotta flowerpot or made as flat discs and enjoyed, topped with prosciutto.
But one signature ingredient is always present - every Crescia contains cheese, either Parmesan, pecorino or both. This traditional recipe comes from "The Italian Cookery Course" book by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi.
Makes 16 in dariole moulds, flowerpots or brioche tins, or 4 loaves in charlotte tins.

Ingredients:
500 to 550g strong plain flour or '00' flour
150g freshly grated pecorino
100g freshly grated Parmesan
10g salt
5g black pepper
100ml olive oil
100ml warm water
50g fresh yeast
5 eggs, beaten
150g young pecorino, cubed
1.Put 500g flour, the grated cheeses and salt and pepper into a large bowl. Add the oil and water to the yeast and mix until creamed then add this to the flour, followed by the beaten eggs.
2.Bring the mixture to a dough and, if necessary, add a little more flour (this will depend on the size of your eggs). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Leave the dough in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (this may take up to 1 hour).
3.Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Knock back the dough and cut into 4 pieces. Fold one quarter of the cubed pecorino into each piece, allowing the cheese to poke out slightly.
4.Divide one piece in half and pull each half into equal lengths. Plait the two lengths together with the end of the plait slightly folded over, facing upwards, and put into the well-buttered tins or moulds. Repeat with the remaining three pieces of dough.
5.Cover with a dry clean tea towel and leave to prove until doubled in size. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, the rolls for 20 minutes. Once baked pop the loaves out. Unmould and cool on a rack.

C R

Guru
Forgot to mention that I made a nice wee bit of ricotta cheese too. Yum View attachment 514313
Oooh. One thing we've been talking about with the children was making some cheese. I have fond memories of having curds on fresh bread when my mum made cheese.

Do you use rennet or vinegar to get started? I was planning to use vinegar, as I don't know where to get the rennet from.

Top Bottom