The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
A question for the expert bakers (you know who you are!)

In the last few weeks, my sour dough bread has been very sticky after the second rise, this makes it almost impossible to shape and to get a nice taut skin and the loaf is spreading.

Now I haven't changed anything, quantities, type of flour, timing, etc as I had got to the stage where each loaf was perfect and well shaped.

There's no change to the taste, so what causes the stickiness? And more importantly, how to overcome it.

Could be purely down to atmospheric conditions. It has been very wet of late, and humidity does have a bearing on how the dough behaves. I'd suggest cutting back on your hydration slightly and see what difference that makes - you don't say what your hydration is, but ideally you want to be between 60 and 65 % of water to quantity of flour, depending on what flour you're using. Wholemeal needs slightly more water than white for the same consistency of dough.

Also, timings... Your dough could be somewhat overproved if you're ending up with a frisbee. As I keep saying, watch the dough, not the clock.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
It didn't turn out too badly at all!

image.jpeg

That's around 25:75% strong white to chapatti (Atta) flour. I went for a small loaf to test the theory and now feel happy to go for a full size version next time.

Mrs Manatee, (who unlike me, does the social media thing) read on there that the local artisan bakery (part of a cafe) are going to sell flour and supply sour dough starters. Result.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was considering getting a sourdough starter going again, but they do like to munch through the flour just to keep them alive. I’ve decided in these austere times to stick to dried yeast for now.

I was considering getting a sourdough starter going again, but they do like to munch through the flour just to keep them alive. I’ve decided in these austere times to stick to dried yeast for now.
I know some people feed ~ half kilo before bake, with massive feedings but when I tried it I found no difference to my current regime:- starter comes out of fridge and gets 15g of flour and water, probably 4 times before use, in any case a starter can just have a small feed to tick over in the fridge, and then be fed any amount before use. I've never understood the benefit of 50% discard/feed huge amounts (then rinse and repeat 'x' times).

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I know some people feed ~ half kilo before bake, with massive feedings but when I tried it I found no difference to my current regime:- starter comes out of fridge and gets 15g of flour and water, probably 4 times before use, in any case a starter can just have a small feed to tick over in the fridge, and then be fed any amount before use. I've never understood the benefit of 50% discard/feed huge amounts (then rinse and repeat 'x' times).

That’s what I do. I’ve never seen the point of wasting lots of flour when all you need to do is keep the process barely ticking along between bakes. Even then I measure out what I need for my production starter plus 10g as a leftover to maintain.

CharlesF

Guru
Could be purely down to atmospheric conditions. It has been very wet of late, and humidity does have a bearing on how the dough behaves. I'd suggest cutting back on your hydration slightly and see what difference that makes - you don't say what your hydration is, but ideally you want to be between 60 and 65 % of water to quantity of flour, depending on what flour you're using. Wholemeal needs slightly more water than white for the same consistency of dough.

Also, timings... Your dough could be somewhat overproved if you're ending up with a frisbee. As I keep saying, watch the dough, not the clock.
Thanks, my hydration is usually 60% and I still get a great loaf, just not shaped properly as the dough sticks to my fingers when shaping.

I will slightly reduce the water and see. I find it strange that after the kneading stage the dough is silky smooth and non stick. Only after a night in the fridge, covered, does it turn sticky.

Thanks, my hydration is usually 60% and I still get a great loaf, just not shaped properly as the dough sticks to my fingers when shaping.

I will slightly reduce the water and see. I find it strange that after the kneading stage the dough is silky smooth and non stick. Only after a night in the fridge, covered, does it turn sticky.

Mmmm, sounds more like overproving. Reducing the amount of culture should slow the process down.

At 60% hydration, your dough shouldn't be sticky at all. Although if you're struggling to shape etc, try using water on your work surface rather than flour.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Anyone tried slow cooker bread? We have failed to buy bread on the last four attempts. I am off later to buy a sack of chipatti flour. If worst comes to worst, we will have a supply of flat breads!

I wondered about mixing some of my dwindling supply of strong flour to the above, kneading it and seeing how it goes! Rather than use the recently repaired (by me!) fan oven, I have a large slow cooker and want to try it.

Online suggests it is possible. Anyone tried?

I haven't tried it myself but if Jack Monroe says so, it's doable.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2019/01/11/slow-cooker-bread-recipe/

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For bread I use 30% or thereabouts of fine or medium oatmeal with normal bread flour which makes a slightly more solid loaf but I think improves the texture and is easier to slice. I have tried porridge oats but they inhibit the rise a bit tho’ the end result tastes ok. I may try blitzing some porridge oats to see if that makes a difference. I cannot get oatmeal now anyway unless mail order perhaps as with the lockdown I cannot go to Oban. Somebody in Manchester has decreed that in Scotland we do not need oatmeal and the local Coop cannot stock it as it is not on their list.

Top Bottom