The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Tip: disposable shower caps make excellent covers for proving in a bowl or tin. I always take any from hotel rooms I stay in.

Oooh, that's a good idea. :thumbsup:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Just found this pic on my phone. Goosnargh cakes from a couple of weeks ago. More biscuit than cake really.

2020-03-02 19.38.53.jpg

Did it a bit more by eye the second time, better result for sure. Haven't got a gram scale here though, so essentially guestimating yeast, never a good idea. Back at home, there's more precision to be had, but a flakier oven...

Yeast quantity really doesn't matter in the long run - as long as you don't put too much in and just watch the dough. If that happens, then you'll have a crumbly loaf that tastes beery. You can make a really good loaf with a gramme of yeast or less if you have the time to let it do the bulk ferment.

Flaky oven is easy to get round - bake your loaf in a clay pot. :smile:

P.S. If you're struggling to judge dough volume by eye, here's an easy tip or two. Find a small, straight-sided glass. Put a pinch of dough inside it and mark the volume. Then mark double to volume, and use that as a control for your main dough. Else find a large, straight sided clear container and do the same for the whole batch of dough.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is it worth making my own pizza bases (and other questions).
I have breadmaker and tbh only use it for bread (mainly wholemeal) and it makes a nice loaf.
Thinking now of trying pizzas. But as I can but a basic pizza for £1.00 and add my own ingredients I need convincing that it worth the effort.
Also.......do I part bake the bases, let them cool and freeze (as when I normally buy them).....then add toppings and heat in oven as and when required.
Any other thoughts welcome.
Thanks.

C R

Guru
I have breadmaker and tbh only use it for bread (mainly wholemeal) and it makes a nice loaf.
Thinking now of trying pizzas. But as I can but a basic pizza for £1.00 and add my own ingredients I need convincing that it worth the effort.
Also.......do I part bake the bases, let them cool and freeze (as when I normally buy them).....then add toppings and heat in oven as and when required.
Thanks.
Bases made from your own dough are much nicer than the ones you get from the shop. Partially cooking them sounds like a good idea.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks.
Try it and find out. You can always go back to buying the pre-baked bases.

Reactions: C R

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Anyone tried slow cooker bread? We have failed to buy bread on the last four attempts. I am off later to buy a sack of chipatti flour. If worst comes to worst, we will have a supply of flat breads!

I wondered about mixing some of my dwindling supply of strong flour to the above, kneading it and seeing how it goes! Rather than use the recently repaired (by me!) fan oven, I have a large slow cooker and want to try it.

Online suggests it is possible. Anyone tried?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Following on from the previous post, I indeed tried a couple shops for chapatti flour (Atta) and it had all gone. Eventually at another shop I frequent (spices etc) I was able to buy 10kg of slightly out of date stuff. I going to mix some up tonight and give it overnight to prove. It might end up a sticky mess but worth a try.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have to say I am saving my flour stocks for if/when we can't get baked goods. Ordinarily I'd like to make some buns or loaves or pies just because it's nice to have a go and see how they turn out, but now I am treating the flour like a lifeline and will only use it when it is needed, rather than wanted.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have to say I am saving my flour stocks for if/when we can't get baked goods. Ordinarily I'd like to make some buns or loaves or pies just because it's nice to have a go and see how they turn out, but now I am treating the flour like a lifeline and will only use it when it is needed, rather than wanted.

That's a good point well put! That moment has happened here. I'm sure we will end up eating a lot less bread which for me, is no bad thing. We have plenty of other stuff in as I always cook for basic ingredients.

Top Bottom