The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Bought a couple of packs in Shoreham a while back. The other one is 3 seed, if I remember correctly. Used to make bread all the time using a machine, either hand-measured or packet. My only other "freehand" attempt produced a very heavy but tasty biscuit...
I use a machine for mixing and kneading, as I am not very good at kneading. I then bake in the oven, though.

BTW, any of you guys stockpiling flour? When I went to get some from Tesco yesterday, they were out of their own brand stuff. They had an offer on the 3kg allinson strong flour, which is what I use, but only one bag left.

I use a machine for mixing and kneading, as I am not very good at kneading. I then bake in the oven, though.
We have an ancient Kenwood A901, am trying to source a dough hook without it costing an arm and a leg. That will certainly increase productivity somewhat!

Reactions: C R
I don't knead, I fold in the bowl. A damn sight less messy, and produces a good result.

Got lucky on yellow sticker with flour recently, so I'm good. Have 10 kg of Atta (80% extraction), 6kg of Allinsons's white, plus assorted rye and spelt.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I used to knead by hand and still will if I have the time and inclination. Otherwise I use a dough hook in my stand mixer. I also always use this for very wet doughs (I have done this by hand but it’s very messy).

I keep meaning to have a go at the ‘no-knead’ technique I first saw on a Paul Hollywood programme.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
BTW, any of you guys stockpiling flour? When I went to get some from Tesco yesterday, they were out of their own brand stuff. They had an offer on the 3kg allinson strong flour, which is what I use, but only one bag left.
My local Sainsbury and Asda were sold out of all bread flour, so I went down the expensive route and bought it on line £23 for 10kg from Wessex Mills

2nd attempt. Thinking it's still a bit small and dense, although better than the first. Time to try a different recipe? Will also go back to hands, the dough hook left too many voids.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What is your proving strategy?

figbat

Slippery scientist
This recipe. Definitely going to try others after this though.
That‘s a pretty solid, standard recipe - I use pretty much the same measures for a basic white loaf. But the proving I do by what happens - this can depend on the ambient temperature, the temperature of the ingredients and so on (I tend to use a slightly warmed water for example). I also use a steam bath in the oven for extra crustiness.

You can prove in the fridge - an overnight prove will develop more of the yeasty flavours. If I’m in a hurry I’ll force prove in an oven set just above ambient but given time I leave it on the kitchen side and just keep an eye on it.

Tip: disposable shower caps make excellent covers for proving in a bowl or tin. I always take any from hotel rooms I stay in.

Did it a bit more by eye the second time, better result for sure. Haven't got a gram scale here though, so essentially guestimating yeast, never a good idea. Back at home, there's more precision to be had, but a flakier oven...

Top Bottom