The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well, 10g is the typical 2% salt.

That’s the measurement I am used to but who was I to contradict the famous French baker? I also thought the 20g of caster sugar, which I wouldn’t normally use, would balance it somewhat.

I think I’ll trust my gut in future.

That’s the measurement I am used to but who was I to contradict the famous French baker? I also thought the 20g of caster sugar, which I wouldn’t normally use, would balance it somewhat.

I think I’ll trust my gut in future.

Just because someone's famous, doesn't mean what they put their name to is good. :blush:

Salt isn't there just for flavour. It also acts as the "handbrake" on the yeast and stops it from galloping out of control. Too much salt and you risk killing the yeast.

I sometimes put a heaped teaspoon of sugar in when activating the dried yeast, usually when the yeast has been open for a while and has lost some of its "oomph". It does help the flavour along just a bit, especially in the crust.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Technically not baking, but we’re having homemade curry tonight and I fancied some bread to go with. I knocked together a simple 60% hydration bread dough this morning, using about half the normal yeast and let it prove all day. Then I stretched it out on a floury work surface, cut into portions and cooked in a hot pan - I kept the lid on to keep the moisture in to help keep them soft.

They look the part, tasting to come in a few minutes.
3E49972A-85A8-4808-B494-FEE190C3E28B.jpeg

F7EFF7F1-795F-4143-936C-DA320FEBF8D8.jpeg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Technically not baking, but we’re having homemade curry tonight and I fancied some bread to go with. I knocked together a simple 60% hydration bread dough this morning, using about half the normal yeast and let it prove all day. Then I stretched it out on a floury work surface, cut into portions and cooked in a hot pan - I kept the lid on to keep the moisture in to help keep them soft.

They look the part, tasting to come in a few minutes.
View attachment 608848
View attachment 608849
They look fab!

C R

Guru
I can report they were lovely! Reviewed by the family as “the best flatbreads you’ve made”, which is not a bad review as I have made quite a few, but I do agree with them!

I may move on to some enhancements next time - herbs, spices or even some kind of stuffing.
Could you expand a bit on your baking method?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Could you expand a bit on your baking method?
Sure. Put the biggest pan I could find on the hob and heat to a medium-high level (number 7 of 9 on our induction hob). Having previously stretched the breads into individual portions I waited until the pan was properly hot then simply dropped a single bread in and put the lid on. I checked after a minute or so how it was doing underneath then flipped it over when the bottom had that slightly mottled/charred effect. About the same time on the other side where the bubbles that had formed on side 1 caught the charring and that was that. Probably 2-3 minutes per bread. I let them cool a little on a rack before stacking them all together while still a little warm to help retain the softness. Wrapped the pile in a tea towel ahead of eating. Next time I would serve them warm if used with a hot meal.

C R

Guru
Sure. Put the biggest pan I could find on the hob and heat to a medium-high level (number 7 of 9 on our induction hob). Having previously stretched the breads into individual portions I waited until the pan was properly hot then simply dropped a single bread in and put the lid on. I checked after a minute or so how it was doing underneath then flipped it over when the bottom had that slightly mottled/charred effect. About the same time on the other side where the bubbles that had formed on side 1 caught the charring and that was that. Probably 2-3 minutes per bread. I let them cool a little on a rack before stacking them all together while still a little warm to help retain the softness. Wrapped the pile in a tea towel ahead of eating. Next time I would serve them warm if used with a hot meal.
Thank you, great idea, a sort of surrogate tanoor.

Tom B

Guru

Pretty much how I do mine, but I add a few Nigella seeds and brush with garlicky melted butter.

They're delicious with a slow cold proved dough (couple of days) or sour dough.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Here’s something I haven’t made for a while – a cheese & onion cornbread.

It’s straightforward – flour and polenta, a couple of eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, a smallish red onion, cheese (I used a mature Comté – but Cheddar would be fine), plus sugar, salt and baking powder – however it creates a small mountain of washing-up.

Best left until cool (it tears easily if cut when warm). Delicious on its own and it also works well as a scarpetta – to soak up sauce etc.

Top Bottom