The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I made this as a practice ahead of my annual Christmas baking bonanza. It’s a panettone dough but I made it around 60% of the normal size, as it’s a practice and only me and the wife eat it, hence I did it in a loaf tin rather than the panettone tin, which it would have struggled to fill. Booze-soaked fruit is the only ‘flavouring’ - I had intended to add some Christmassy spices but forgot, so another practice will have to happen!
B059742B-75F1-4BCD-BC1B-54817D6F642C.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Inside…
ADBD940A-DFF3-4B24-A1C0-FC8E9B0C1A2E.jpeg

Tom B

Guru
A molete today, managed to get a reasonable rise.
View attachment 616116

Would you mind sharing recipe / instructions for that one?

C R

Guru
Would you mind sharing recipe / instructions for that one?
Of course, here goes.

Recipe
270ml warm water
3 cups strong white flour
1.5 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
Squirt of olive oil, I don't measure the oil, but at a guess I would say 1tbsp
3/4 tsp yeast, you can use maybe 1/2 tsp yeast and raise for longer, which gives a bit more flavour, but I find the rise less predictable

Method
Mix and knead as per usual method, I use a breadmaker to mix, knead and rise, and pour out once the dough raises to 3/4 of the tin, to knock back and shape as a ball, then let relax for about an hour.

For baking I use a baking stone, heat the stone in the oven to 180C, place the dough on the stone and bake until the crust looks right. To avoid the shape flopping during transfer I place the dough on a baking sheet after shaping.

For the one in my post above I put a bowl with water in the oven while baking. It took longer to get to the right colour, but the crust was crispier, and the flavour seemed to develop more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
For crustiness I put a small baking tray at the bottom of the oven whilst it is preheating and then when I put the bread in to cook I pour boiling water from a kettle into the hot tray.

The science of it, as I understand it, is that sugars in the dough dissolve in the moisture on the surface and then caramelise to form the crust.

C R

Guru
For crustiness I put a small baking tray at the bottom of the oven whilst it is preheating and then when I put the bread in to cook I pour boiling water from a kettle into the hot tray.

The science of it, as I understand it, is that sugars in the dough dissolve in the moisture on the surface and then caramelise to form the crust.
Do you put the tray on the oven "floor" or on a rack near the bottom?

Tom B

Guru
Do you put the tray on the oven "floor" or on a rack near the bottom?

When I bake bread at work I throw half a mug of boiling on the bottom of the oven bottom because there is only one shelf (hey it was a £89 cooker). It doesn't seem to come to any harm

Top Bottom