The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Finally used some of the Blackberries we picked a few week back, no apples available, so added two small pears to the mix, tastes good.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A family favourite? You've a lucky family. Looks fantastic. can just imagine the smell as it's baking!
The difficult part was giving it time to cool before diving in!

I came across the recipe a few years ago and have made it a few times. My kids aren’t great with various inclusions in cakes and buns (no fruit, no nuts etc) but cinnamon is a winner. It was interesting when they did a chocolate version on GBBO - I plan to give that a try too.

Those look good @figbat :hungry:

Nothing wrong with using ready made puff pastry. :okay: It's one of the "cheats" I tend to use. :blush:

P.S. Pickled pears are very nice with cheese and cold cuts :becool:

Some kind of chutney was also mooted, but it looks like the remainder of the pears and the accompanying apples are going in crumbles.😋

There's a Polish bake called a "placek" which is the generic term for a rich sponge (it uses sour cream) topped with fruit. Apples and plums are more typical, but it's very nice with sliced pears as well. A drop of almond extract in the batter doesn't go amiss when using pears.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's a Polish bake called a "placek" which is the generic term for a rich sponge (it uses sour cream) topped with fruit. Apples and plums are more typical, but it's very nice with sliced pears as well. A drop of almond extract in the batter doesn't go amiss when using pears.
Pear and almond - classic combo. Another option was a pear and frangipane tart, but pear crumble is possibly my favourite crumble (rhubarb runs it close).

Pear and almond - classic combo. Another option was a pear and frangipane tart, but pear crumble is possibly my favourite crumble (rhubarb runs it close).

I'm more of an apple-and-quince-crumble kind of girl. Quince pears add a lovely, fragrant and slightly citrusy note to the apples. And a bit more of a bite, as bramleys will cook right down to a fluff.

Top Bottom