The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Seeded whole meal and rye loaves

C65295EE-4EED-4852-87A5-933659DAAC19.jpeg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My preferred method of proving is to put the dough in a large mixing bowl (mine is already in one as I've used my mixer to knead it) in a cold oven covered with a damp tea towel, along with a mug of just boiled water. This makes the environment nice and humid for proving.
Leave for roughly 1h30. Knock back if you want, or I just shape it. (pulling it around itself for a nice tight outer layer)
Then put it into your tin and prove again as above (but uncovered) for about 45m.

The only thing with this method is that as the dough absorbs some steam from the mug you don't need as much water in your initial mix. I now use 550g flour and 300ml of warm water.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Rosemary and sea salt crust sourdough

View attachment 489272
Is the seasalt and rosemary just on the crust?

Also what ratio flours:water do you use for the wholemeal/rye one? I've only dared do a 20% rye one with a touch extra hydration. My starter has been dormant in the fridge for 3 weeks whilst on holiday, currently having a couple of days being fed before I make my loaves. I need to get away from just white or 20% rye loaves and be a bit more sourdough radical.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Is the seasalt and rosemary just on the crust?

Also what ratio flours:water do you use for the wholemeal/rye one? I've only dared do a 20% rye one with a touch extra hydration. My starter has been dormant in the fridge for 3 weeks whilst on holiday, currently having a couple of days being fed before I make my loaves. I need to get away from just white or 20% rye loaves and be a bit more sourdough radical.

the sea salt is just in the crust, rosemary inside and out.

for the sourdough I normally base it on this recipe

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_sourdough_21029/amp
I usually put 50% strong white, 25% whole meal and 25% rye.

I may put about 10% more water than the recipe states.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They look amazing.

Not sure if it counts as baking, but I made a very nice chocolate banoffee pie.
Sorry, we ate it all before I could take a photo.

Top Bottom