The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never had much luck making it either, but then it's something I haven't done that often anyway.

Might try the Hairy Bikers' version, their recipes generally are usually near enough spot on.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
And even an apparently unhandleable dough will still give a good result. A typical focaccia dough can be very wet - to handle a wet dough you can use wet hands or oily hands for kneading and bath in flour for final handling and shaping... and simply put up with the 'rustic' shaping you'll get!

Maybe I should have persevered - one thing with these low effort bakes is that it doesn't feel like such a disaster when they go wrong (because there's not been a huge amount of effort sunk into them).

Tom B

Guru
Never had much luck making it either, but then it's something I haven't done that often anyway.

Might try the Hairy Bikers' version, their recipes generally are usually near enough spot on.

That's actually one of the ones I've tried.

Wasn't impressed... But feel free to prove me wrong. It's probably one of the few breaddy things I don't like.

That's actually one of the ones I've tried.

Wasn't impressed... But feel free to prove me wrong. It's probably one of the few breaddy things I don't like.

Actually, it was very, very nice - how authentic is was, I really don't know, but there's not much left...

Although admittedly I only used Si & Dave's recipe as a rough guide, as it's much like my own everyday bread. The main difference was in the rest of the method after the bulk ferment, and the subsequent bake.

Having said that, I loaded up the dough itself with garlic and fresh rosemary from the garden, and did use a good Spanish evoo. Plus I used a flour mix that's 50% strong white and 50% atta as that's what's currently in my bread flour bin, and I used less yeast so that I could just leave it to get on with itself while I did other things. Oh yeah, and I baked it on a pizza stone.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I made half a dozen nice, soft and fluffy white rolls but before I could take a photo my wife had scoffed one.

20220522_094206.jpg

To be fair, it was her loaf but I’d only turned my back to pick up my phone for the photo when she stuffed it in her gob.:mrpig:

Instant approval! :becool:

Top Bottom