The Bar Tape Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's quite a diverse subject so I thought it deserved its own thread.
What tips have you got for installing plus which are the best and worst types/brands. Which is the longest lasting and the most serviceable and the most comfortable?
Is thinner or thicker best?
I've been quite impressed with Cinelli tape having had some on one bike for 2 + years. It's very comfortable being quite thick but its white it gets dirty quick but it's very easy to clean. I've also had some Decathlon tape on another bike which I also liked, much thinner than the Cinelli but it's not worn well breaking up on the bar tops after two and a half years.
What are your tips?

I too use Cinelli and the gel variety, it has been on both bikes over a year and still looks as if I have just fitted it. It wears well and you can un-wrap and re-wrap without fear of it sticking to itself. I use black and it washes well.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In related news, can I find my black electrical tape? Can I heck. I've got white, brown, green, yellow, purple...

Wot? No red? ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I loved the tape I had on my old Pace MTB years back - proper squidgy (I like proper squidgy), bright yellow with dozens of little black geckos crawling over it.

Can't remember who made it but it was way past cool.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've been using Spa's on brand leather tape for the last year and a bit.
Not much cushioning but seems wider than usual. This makes it difficult to follow the bars curves without creases forming.
It's a bit longer than other tapes I reckon.
I've wrapped and rewrapped a few times and so far hasn't broken or torn. Very tough.
Pricy at £20 but definitely worth it imo.

I've just put lizard skins tape on one of my bikes, never used it before but generally I like thinner bar tape and this seems quite thin but still padded.

I quite like the topcabin tape.

Much better than the foam stuff that originally came on the bike; that was a devil to keep clean and got very tatty very quickly. (Yes, it was white LOL). The topcabin tape is faux leather, perforated and reasonably padded. It just needs a wipe down to keep it looking as good as new. Was easy enough to wrap despite some "help" from the furry girls. Only gripe is that the supplied finishing strips pretty pants - but then that's what electrical tape is there for.

greenmark

Guru
The tape doesn't matter as long as the direction you wrap it is correct.

Like this... anything else is an abomination.
On the right side, clockwise below the brakes then switch to anti-clockwise on the tops (and vice-versa on the left)
1098137718057c269beaba376-92218620.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Wrapping the bars last night (actually the frame of the Kid Corral), I was again reminded that bar tape manufacturers don't seem to understand the concept of chirality.

Top Bottom