The Bar Tape Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Look at for example my Mike Giant tape where the tattoos are upside down on the left hand side. They need to make two versions with the overlap on different sides.

Got it - thanks. ^_^

That would bother me and I would choose a different bar tape the next time and put a black mark against the designer. Oh the trials of first world problems!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Got it - thanks. ^_^

That would bother me and I would choose a different bar tape the next time and put a black mark against the designer. Oh the trials of first world problems!
Even the regular plain coloured Cinelli tape is like that, with an embossed logo that ends up upside down, and the way it comes in a roll means you need to unroll it all the way before you start wrapping the left side of the bars. Deda has the logo issue but doesn't come on a roll so you can at least start wrapping from either end.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Two layers of the slightly padded Bianchi tape - on the Bianchi.

Cheapest brown leather stuff I could find on the Peugeot and commuting bike to match the Saddles.

nickAKA

Über Member
Pushed the boat out last time and went for lizard skinz. Thought process, as always, was "take my time and get it right". Ballsed it up as usual rushing to get it finished. Nice & comfortable though and plenty grippy with or without gloves. It'll stay on as it is until someone notices it's wrong, laughs at my amateurish efforts and peer pressure forces me to redo it :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've never had the pleasure of using bar tape but having read of the choice of starting at either the top or the open end I wondered if there was a preferred direction of wrap, clock or anti clock as you progress along the bars?
Is it something that's done differently in the Southern Hemisphere?

The old Specialized Phat Tape was good; came with gel pads to put under it too. Felt nice without gloves, stayed reasonably grippy when wet and went on easily.

Had ODI Performance 3.5 on my last two bikes and like it a lot. Super grippy in any weather and really dampens down the buzz, especially with some Fizik gel pads under it. It is an absolute bar steward to wrap though, and tucking the drop ends in is good for some creative cursing. Easy to remove and redo as well and not too offensively priced.

si_c

Guru
Very happy with the Lizardskins I have on at the moment. Hands down the best bar tape I've ever used in the wet. I've had it for about 18months now and it's still going on and off very well, although it's taken a heavy beating as it is on the commuter and it's scuffed badly in a few places.

I'll definitely be replacing it with the same again. Using the 1.8mm variety at the moment.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I must get round to changing the tape on the Equipe,
DSCN0179.JPG

I've only had the new stuff in a drawer for 4yrs though

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've never had the pleasure of using bar tape but having read of the choice of starting at either the top or the open end I wondered if there was a preferred direction of wrap, clock or anti clock as you progress along the bars?
Is it something that's done differently in the Southern Hemisphere?
Start at the bottom, wrap outwards round the drops, figure-eight round the shifters then inwards round the top of.the bars. Makes it self-tightening with the torque applied when you grip the bars.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have been putting it off for far too long.

I am fed up with bare bars.

I have now got some very discounted tape for the fixed. Normally, I would pay a bike shop to put the tape n the bars for me. Hell, I would pay anyone; passing cyclists, the milkman, ANYONE. I am going to have to do it myself. Do I have this correct?

Start at the bottom.
Ignore putting an extra piece around the back of the levers; you do a figure of 8 instead.
Finish with insulation tape.

Direction. Someone once told me to wrap in the direction on The Fonze's thumbs, (heeeeeyyy). Is that from the front or the back of the bike?

Thanks.

I have been putting it off for far too long.

I am fed up with bare bars.

I have now got some very discounted tape for the fixed. Normally, I would pay a bike shop to put the tape n the bars for me. Hell, I would pay anyone; passing cyclists, the milkman, ANYONE. I am going to have to do it myself. Do I have this correct?

Start at the bottom.
Ignore putting an extra piece around the back of the levers; you do a figure of 8 instead.
Finish with insulation tape.

Direction. Someone once told me to wrap in the direction on The Fonze's thumbs, (heeeeeyyy). Is that from the front or the back of the bike?

Thanks.

YouTube is your friend. Well, my friend anyway, as this is how I learned to put bar tape on drops. I think it was this video:

Or maybe this one:

Top Bottom