The Bar Tape Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I was taught that you start in the middle and work towards the end and that the 'bar end caps' hold it all together.
Overlap each turn by 50% and keep it tight.
No sticky tape/electrical tape need or wanted.

In related news, can I find my black electrical tape? Can I heck. I've got white, brown, green, yellow, purple...
I’ve lost my red. It’s right there in front of me! I was using it at the time of loosing it to tape cable outers to bars.

mustang1

Guru
Spesh S-Works with some gel stuff in it. Was £15 and was over 10 years ago. Last bar tape I got was Cinelli coz that's what the bike builder recommended. I figured he was on some commission to sell that tape and I didn't carae so just went with it. I like them both. I also like the bar tape that came as standard on my supersix. IDK what it is, maybe prologo or cannondale brand.

While I can talk about bar tape and saddles for hours, it doesn't bother me which one I use. I've not changed bar tape or saddles on any of my bikes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It feels rough and gets messed up if you don't start at the ends, because your hands push against the exposed edges. That's why you get finishing tape in the box!

Wrap one side mirror-image of the other. Don't forget to cut a little strip to go behind the lever hoods or you will have an annoying triangle of bar showing. Wrap it as tightly as you can, and always ensure the tape comes over the top of the bar towards you on the tops, or you'll unwind it when climbing.

The tape to avoid is anything too cloth-like that gathers dirt. One puncture and my yellow Boardman bar tape was a mess. I bought some smoother Velox tape to replace it.

Old-fashioned shiny tape looks good on vintage bikes, especially those with metallic paint. No cushioning but you can wear gloves if it bothers you.

Attachments

• 20200405_125909.jpg
    20200405_125909.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 1

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Lizard Skin for me. Although the stuff that comes as factory std on a Trek is pretty good too.

I also much prefer bar end plugs with an allen key expander, as opposed to the cheap push in ones that come with the tape.

Top Bottom