The basics on GPS / sat nav for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am interested in getting something for my bike. I already have a Garmin Forerunner for triathlons which works as a fancy bike computer, but would like something with maps on (free?) that I can use a bit like a car satnav or program from other software for routes to follow

I searched for "GPS" and got no answers showing up at all.

Can someone point me to some previous postings which I have seen which give all the basics and some ideas of where to head?

PK99

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
I am interested in getting something for my bike. I already have a Garmin Forerunner for triathlons which works as a fancy bike computer, but would like something with maps on (free?) that I can use a bit like a car satnav or program from other software for routes to follow

Can someone point me to some previous postings which I have seen which give all the basics and some ideas of where to head?

Look for garmin edge 705

Will1985

Über Member
Blazed has a 605 for sale in the classifieds. Plenty of threads recently on the merits of each Garmin product (in Bikes, Accessories etc...).

For free mapping, check out the link in andygates' signature.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
jay clock said:

I didn't believe that, given that I've taken part in several threads on the subject where the abbreviation GPS was definitely used, but you are right - that's strange! I think that there must be a bug or a 'feature' in the forum software that requires more than 3 letters in the search term (I'll contact admin about it to find out).

Meanwhile, try searching for GARMIN, SATNAV, or ETREX; they will return plenty of results.

Will1985

Über Member
Dave5N said:
The 705 is ok apart from the altimeter. You will need to pm Will1985 and ask him to pay a visit and explain how it works.
Haha - I had an LBS calling me yesterday about how to pair a 705 to a PowerTap!! I'll be demanding commission soon.

I do have a bone of contention though which applies to all Garmin threads....Etrex is for "satnav" applications; 705 is a GPS enabled training device.

Since the OP is a triathlete, training is probably on the order of the day :ohmy:

Garz

Squat Member
Dave5N said:
The 705 is ok apart from the altimeter. You will need to pm Will1985 and ask him to pay a visit and explain how it works.

:rolleyes:

Like it!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Although I do race triathlons i also tour and it is really the tour bit, and planning training rides that I really want it for.

I must say, I am not much closer to understanding!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One thing that pushed me in the direction of the bottom-of-the-range Etrex (apart from being poor!) was that it is powered by 2 AA batteries. I can get over 24 hours out of a decent pair of NiMH cells and I could always buy a pair of Duracells if they went flat out on a ride.

I've done rides up to 14 hours and was toying with the idea of trying 300 km audax rides which could take me 15-20 hours so I wanted at least a 24 hour battery life to be on the safe side.

Some of the more exotic models I looked at had Li ion batteries built in with ~12 hr battery life. After that, the unit couldn't be used until the battery was recharged. That's okay for short to medium length rides, but not so good for long to very long rides.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd recommend an Etrex Legend HCx.
Cheaper than an Edge 605 or 705, AA batteries with a 25 hour life (ish) for easy use away from home on tour. The Edge has a built-in rechargeable battery with about a 12-15h life when new, and needs mains charging.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I ride with an Etrex Legend HCx, and can echo everything said above. Got all the way to Scotland on a single pair of batteries (Energizer Ultimates, BOGOF in Argos).

When the priority isn't absolute reliability, I also use Hybrio rechargeables. They're pretty cheap and keep their charge when not being used very well. Means you can just bung 4 spares in a bag, and as long as you're back within 900 miles, you'll be fine.

Only issue I've ever had with GPS is when using it to FIND a route. Far better to work out the route before hand with desktop software or websites (bikehike, mapmyride, googlemaps, etc) then upload it as a "track" or "route" with known waypoints. Its hard to get an overview of the route on these little screens, and sometimes the routing isn't ideal. Eg. Setting navigation to "Avoid toll roads" sounds like a no brainer, but if you're aiming for somewhere in London, be advised that it'll try to route you around the congestion charging zone for as far as possible, then bring you in from the closest point on the circumference. On a 12 mile trip, that can be a 15 mile detour if I don't keep my eye on it. ;)

Other tip would be 'play with the GPS for a while before using it as your only hope on a ride.' There is a learning curve, and its best experienced before midnight, within a hundred miles of home, when its warm.

Top Bottom