The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am getting some money for Christmas and my birthday which I am going to put towards a bass.

I'll have a look in the local guitar shop to see if they have a used one which I like for under £100. If not, I will probably order a Harley Benton MB-4 SB for £107 (incl delivery) once the Christmas/New Year madness is over. :smile:

delb0y

Legendary Member
I'm GASing, too. More and more I fancy a steel bodied resonator. I blame the one I didn't win at that auction for setting a seed that' s growing rapidly. I shall wait until after Christmas, too, and see how the land lies.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another from the 70/80s gone.
Phil Chen who worked with Jeff Beck, Robby Kreiger and Rod Stewart among others:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Chen

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am getting some money for Christmas and my birthday which I am going to put towards a bass.

I'll have a look in the local guitar shop to see if they have a used one which I like for under £100. If not, I will probably order a Harley Benton MB-4 SB for £107 (incl delivery) once the Christmas/New Year madness is over. :smile:
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I think @Drago has one.
Budget guitars have improved immeasurable over the last few years.
I've got a Rockjam bass I bought secondhand down here which is a sub £100 instrument which came off Amazon. It's really very good for the price with no real complaints.
Are you starting off?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I think @Drago has one.

Budget guitars have improved immeasurable over the last few years.

I've got a Rockjam bass I bought secondhand down here which is a sub £100 instrument which came off Amazon. It's really very good for the price with no real complaints.
Yes, it was Drago's praise that led me in that direction.

Are you starting off?
I will be. I very strongly doubt that I would ever play with anybody else or in public - it will be just for noodling about on at home. I was playing about making some drum loops on my laptop yesterday and I fancied playing a simple bass line to them. I could easily put in a synthetic one on the computer but it would be nice to do it 'for real'.

I'll have a look in the local guitar shop to see if they have a used one which I like for under £100.
The shop was closed when I walked by today but I did spot a used bass on display on a wall inside the shop. I couldn't see what it was, or a price for it. I'll go in tomorrow if the shop is open when I walk by. If the bass is under £100 and I like it, I'll go for that. If not, I'll order a new instrument from Thomann in a couple of weeks time.

Last night, I took my Yamaha Transacoustic to a singaround/Xmas gathering at a local venue. We meet once a month, and it's normally "unplugged". But last night we each took turns to get up on stage, with mics and spotlights and everything. It was the first time I have heard the guitar through a proper sound system, and it sounded really nice.

Shame about the singer........ 🎶

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I decided that seeing as my daughter has got on so well with her initial lessons, she should probably have her own guitar now. She can play "Zombie" all the way throught on my guitar after all, plus all the basic root chords. So I've just got her her first "own" axe.
Here it is! Shush, don't tell her. It's the pink Squier Strat one there.
20211217_125115.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Recommended apps/websites for playalong tab? I've been using Ultimate Guitar but the pricing structure has increased dramatically from £25 to £65 and I don't believe I will be paying that!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always use the free ones on YouTube.
Can't recommend as I play bass and assume you're six string guitar.
One that does both however is Cifra Club, they're very good but it's in Portuguese.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In that case Florain Bass, Cover Solutions and Fotis Nikol Creations are worth looking at.
Otherwise Dan Hawkins, BassBuzz and that guy with the very bushy eyebrows whose name I can't think of now offer some lessons and tips.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Um. I accidentally went to the local guitar shop, while out walking. Anyway, there was this little Tanglewood and it was all alone and being given the stink eye from really expensive, very shiny and lacquered £2k + guitars.
Feeling sorry for it (and myself, I had a horrible afternoon), I asked the nice man in the shop if I could have a bit of a strum. Then fidgeted about in my wallet for a pick, there is generally one in there for I am a ‘pick pixie’ and find them everywhere, when out walking, and rescue them. I happened to have such a rescue, in my purse. A tonedeafmusic promo one. 0.46mm
The Tanglewood and I had a quick canter through Hotel California, Wish You Were Here and Everybody Hurts and we decided that, although it was early days, that we were made for each other and that we would cohabit immediately.
He is so loud! He sounds really full and rich. I know that tone is very subjective but he sounds like a guitar costing many times more expensive. I did have a quick strum on a slightly more expensive Epiphone too, but that Tanglewood just blew it into the weeds. Also, the Epiphone was blue, lacquered and looked a bit weird.

Back up to 2 guitars then. That didn’t take long.
Apologies for the bookshelf with way too much clutter.

Attachments

• A3595380-AA46-4B54-9E67-3FF7837C974B.jpeg
    A3595380-AA46-4B54-9E67-3FF7837C974B.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom