The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got Alan Entwistle pickups on my Jazz. Meatier that a steak pie in beef gravy.
Good pickups. They used to do a PBXn P pickup with neodymium magnets, a total killer. But the neo got too expensive.
The trouble with a traditionally wired Jazz, with single coil pickups, is that it is prone to hum unless both pickups are set at the same volume level - they are a humbucking pair in this setting. The P Bass is fully humbucking, and meatier still as a result. Of course, you can get Jazz piackups that are individually humbucking, but this will not give a traditional Jazz tone.
You pays your money...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, I use their ceramic magnet pickups on all my axes and it seems to suit well the rock music i tend to play. People pay hundreds for DiMarzio or Duncan pickups that don't actually perform any better. I'd love thr neodymium ones but your right, they're pricy, although still good value in the grand scheme.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Dragged out the kit today.
Amp and speaker to remind me what it looks like and how titchy it is.
View attachment 512073
That's the edge of a fairly standard coffee table to its left!

View attachment 512080
Case...And inside...
View attachment 512077
Much-modified Mexican Fender Precision Bass
View attachment 512079
View attachment 512082
View attachment 512083

With a Jazz neck on it.
Just like a project bike, modified by me, for me.
The only original bits left are the body, bridge and knobs.
And after an hour or so's playing, it's staying out of the cupboard!
Nice idea to match the Jazz neck on a Precision & make your own project bass.

Way back when the Romans wore sandals, I had a Musicman Stingray (2 band) and a Jazz. Preferred the Jazz neck, loved the sound of both. Tried 5 string briefly after enjoying a D tuner on a 4 string. The low notes were fantastic, the cricket bat neck not so good.

Cue fast forward, only 1 bass now:
a customised Jazz strung with La Bella nickels - B, E, A, D. Bartolini pickups & circuit handling the output sweet & clear. Used to crate around two 4 x 10 cabs and a valve head - it made good tone & pushed a lot of air.

Once I had a low C at the first fret, I didn't go back. It was useful for playing in Eb: for me, a normally strung 4 string struggles with an Eb note.

Nowadays, I don't play much - would rather listen to bassists who can really play. Youtube has all the brilliant performances & concerts to last for more than a lifetime.

Oxford Dave

Dragged out the kit today.
Amp and speaker to remind me what it looks like and how titchy it is.
View attachment 512073
That's the edge of a fairly standard coffee table to its left!
Trace Elf and and a BF 1x10? Superb light weight mini rig. I'm a great fan of the Barefaced cabs, I have a Super Compact (1x12) that I use at home and for most gigs, and a Super Twin (2x12) that I use about once a year. My amps are Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and ABM 600, I just mix and match depending on my mood.
My Super Twin is the first one of the series, collected it from Alex in Brighton, serial number is S001. I played a lot of gigs with that cab before buying the Compact. If I was more sensible, I'd have started with a Compact and then bought another if I felt I needed it, but no...

Trace Elf and and a BF 1x10? Superb light weight mini rig. I'm a great fan of the Barefaced cabs, I have a Super Compact (1x12) that I use at home and for most gigs, and a Super Twin (2x12) that I use about once a year. My amps are Ashdown Rootmaster 800 and ABM 600, I just mix and match depending on my mood.
My Super Twin is the first one of the series, collected it from Alex in Brighton, serial number is S001. I played a lot of gigs with that cab before buying the Compact. If I was more sensible, I'd have started with a Compact and then bought another if I felt I needed it, but no...
My first BF was a Super 15, what a beast! Still only 49lb. Amazing cab.

Oxford Dave

My first BF was a Super 15, what a beast! Still only 49lb. Amazing cab.
They're all amazing! I think the first gig I played with the Super Compact instead of the Twin was Tavistock Wharf last August. We'd headlined a festival in Kent a couple of weeks earlier and I ended up using a borrowed 100w combo as my car broke down on the way and I had to use my wife's little runabout - no room for the 2x12. I was surprised at how well the little (Fender Rumble) combo did (obviously DI'd) and realised I could get away with carrying less gear on a lot of the gigs. I still prefer the 2x12 for outdoor shows, but most of the venues we play want fairly low levels of backline to make life easier for the sound folk.

Top Bottom