The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All this rig talk has got me hankering to expand on mine... so added a Blackstar to my Orange:

:becool:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've a hankering for a Hofner violin bass. I don't know why, but G.A.S. is like that.
Snap. I was thinking of a short scale and fancied a Mustang but was looking at a lot of Maccas stuff and came to really admire and appreciate him. I like the things he did with Wings in the early days but the later output was too much like The Ruttles for my liking. Apparently he still uses his ‘62 model for performances. Anyway I think a violin bass would be a breath of fresh air.
The Ignition might be okay but I don’t like the the way the scratchplate is screwed directly into body, cheap and nasty. The more expensive 500/1 has a central block which helps with sustain apparently. The only thing I don’t like is the rather wide neck at 42.5 mm.
When I can get over I’d like to try them both.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've decided to get the old guitar out this evening. I got a nice new amp for christmas and have hardly used it yet. Guitar is an Ibanez (wood/walnut colour) and it sounds really nice through my new marshall amp.

Anyway, now that I'll be playing alone, I was looking at one of those looper pedals. Anyone have one that they'd recommend? I did some research a few months ago and by all accounts you can get a good 3-4 minute loop on a pedal for under £80. Just wondered if anyone else had a budget one they'd recommend?

Also @Drago, I asked Entwistle about the PBXn, and there will be some more along when the pandemic is over. Result!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Snap. I was thinking of a short scale and fancied a Mustang but was looking at a lot of Maccas stuff and came to really admire and appreciate him. I like the things he did with Wings in the early days but the later output was too much like The Ruttles for my liking. Apparently he still uses his ‘62 model for performances. Anyway I think a violin bass would be a breath of fresh air.
The Ignition might be okay but I don’t like the the way the scratchplate is screwed directly into body, cheap and nasty. The more expensive 500/1 has a central block which helps with sustain apparently. The only thing I don’t like is the rather wide neck at 42.5 mm.
When I can get over I’d like to try them both.
In his dreams... The Rutles (one 't') were far superior. :okay:

Oxford Dave

Love the look, but when doing work on them, found they were not the nicely crafted things they were always touted as being. So never bothered.
What I *would* spend serious cash on, uf I had any, would be a 60s Gibson EB2-D, like this:
View attachment 513232

Lovely!
That's a seriously nice looking bass. I've got several decent Fenders and very nice Sandberg, but all I've been playing these last few weeks is my Epiphone Jack Casady - the cheapest of the lot!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Later Beatles and most if not all Wings was played on a lefty Rickenbacker 4001S. But in later times, being of the older persuasion, he's sensibly returned to the featherweight 500/1.
Apparently it was Elvis Costello who persuaded Macca to get out his old violin bass again for their collaboration on the "Flowers in the dirt "album.

Top Bottom