The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
PM incoming.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
A busy morning in the home studio.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Behringer UM2. Very basic, but I omly input one instrument. I have astudio mic for acoustic cqpture, and that has its own tiny interface built into the lead.

Behringer UM2. Very basic, but I omly input one instrument. I have astudio mic for acoustic cqpture, and that has its own tiny interface built into the lead.
UMC22 for me, purely because it was on offer as B stock. Only slighly less basic than the UM2. Haven't done much with it, to be honest. Using Audacity as DAW, but don't know much about that either! Lots of learning to do. Any recommendations and tips gratefully received!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I record onto Audacity and then import the tracks into Bandlab. I get a bit of latency on Bandlab, and it can be a little glitchy, so I don't us it much for work or recording, only for sharing with the band and for receiving the tracks that they've done - for that its really good. Once im done in audacity I use Bandlab for final tweaks, adding and effects, and setting the timing with respect to the other tracks.

Still getting used to Audacity myself Im afraid, but it does seem a simple and effective program.

Last edited:

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Was going to ask if anyone did home recording! I've been recording my own nonsense for years, starting with a Fostex cassette-based 4-track & preset drum box back in the 80s. After a long & messy separation from hardware multitrackers, I've fairly recently started using a PC-based system, now running Reaper.

Considering I've been using computers for everything else in the world for over 25 years, I still remain baffled as to why it's taken so long to move my musical endeavours across. Still yet to produce anything approximating a finished track - but the experiments are promising!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Still getting used to Audacity myself Im afraid, but it does seem a simple and effective program.
I play about with it to knock up temporary sound effects for the game that I am writing. I use the laptop's onboard mic to capture the audio.

I recorded some 'hummmmm', 'whoooooooosh', 'click', 'clack' and 'Uh-Oh' (You lose/Out of moves/Out of time/Wrong answer)*** sounds which are okay for now.

One clip that I really like started off as an attempt at human beatbox EDM but it was pretty bad so I thought I would play with it to see what Audacity could do to it. I clipped it, reversed it, shifted it down in pitch, applied EQ and reverb and then an envelope to fade it in and out. It sounds like a demented bison on drugs in a cave! :laugh:

I'm still thinking that I might buy a cheap bass and record that for some ethereal game music. I have a few games on my phone which have very simple but interesting background music - not technically difficult, but in keeping with the simplicity of those games.

*** A bit like this Family Fortunes sound effect...

I record onto Audacity and then import the tracks into Bandlab. I get a bit of latency on Bandlab, and it can be a little glitchy, so I don't us it much for work or recording, only for sharing with the band and for receiving the tracks that they've done - for that its really good. Once im done in audacity I use Bandlab for final tweaks, adding and effects, and setting the timing with respect to the other tracks.

Cool, I just need to knuckle down and get some time in. What sort of grunt does your PC have to work all this? The one I'm typing on could do music several times over in its sleep, but might not use that for music.

Top Bottom