The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just an immobilised finger that's going to take some time to get right. Frustratingly we are having good weather and I daren't risk riding my bike in case I come off and damage the finger.
Sounds like your chainsaw-juggling career came to a premature finish...! :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
. So the question is, is leaving no access to the truss nut unless the neck is removed, a completely daft idea?
Not according to Fender.

1614171193864.png

Not according to Fender.

View attachment 575514
The reasoning is simple enough. Leo, ever the get-it-done-with-the-least-materials kind of guy, had the truss rod adjust that end so he didn't need a separate angled headstock with the traditional cover plate. The very first examples of what would be the Telecaster has no truss rod at all - Leo thought the rock maple would withstand the strings on its own. His failure was to not understand that wood moves, slowly, but it moves. As saleman Don Randall's samples gradually became unplayable, he relented, and the skunk stripe was born.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Meanwhile, in Japan...

daionrod.jpg

Which is fine until the little gearbox breaks and you're reduced to removing the neck & grubbing around with a 10mm spanner to try & adjust it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Meanwhile, in Japan...

View attachment 575546

Which is fine until the little gearbox breaks and you're reduced to removing the neck & grubbing around with a 10mm spanner to try & adjust it.
My 'Tele' has the micro adjust for neck angle there, no need to muck about with shims if the neck angle needs resetting. Not only that the grubscrew pressing against the metal plate in the neck is meant to give better contact and improve sustain

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
My 'Tele' has the micro adjust for neck angle there, no need to muck about with shims if the neck angle needs resetting. Not only that the grubscrew pressing against the metal plate in the neck is meant to give better contact and improve sustain
This is quite a different thing. The truss rod adjusts through the hole with an allen key. I think Gretsch/Baldwin used a similar system at one point.

adjuster3.jpg

It'll end up with a 10mm nut on that thread one day!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The reasoning is simple enough. Leo, ever the get-it-done-with-the-least-materials kind of guy, had the truss rod adjust that end so he didn't need a separate angled headstock with the traditional cover plate. The very first examples of what would be the Telecaster has no truss rod at all - Leo thought the rock maple would withstand the strings on its own. His failure was to not understand that wood moves, slowly, but it moves. As saleman Don Randall's samples gradually became unplayable, he relented, and the skunk stripe was born.
Leo was famously tight. When Fender started to expand he moved to bigger premises, and he took the lino from the old workshop floor with him. He then used it to make the dot inlays on many instruments!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Question for the bass players (@Drago @DCBassman @Cycleops)

new nut and string tree arrived today... but the slots don't line up

I could file out the D & E slots in the tree to give a straight run to the machine head (cutting it fine on the D)... or just cut myself a nut that matches the string tree's spacing of 9mm (same as the old nut) ???

Top Bottom