The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd sooner my G&L jazz over a Fender one, which is ironic as the L in G&L stands for 'Leo' Fender.
Yep and the G is for George Fullerton

Leo Fender invited Fullerton to join his company and Fullerton became a full-time Fender employee on February 28, 1948. He is credited with design innovations that allowed Fender to mass-produce its first solid body electric guitar, known today as the Telecaster, which the company introduced in 1949.[3] After leaving Fender in 1970, he continued to work with Leo Fender at Music Man and later co-founded G&L Musical Instruments along with Fender and longtime Fender salesman Dale Hyatt.[4][5] Fullerton returned to Fender as a consultant in the company's custom shop in 2007.[6] In November 2007, the company unveiled the limited edition George Fullerton 50th anniversary 1957 Stratocaster guitar and Pro Junior amplifier.[7][8]

G&L started as George & Leo, but eventually was, awkwardly, Guitars by Leo after Fullerton was pushed out.
Very good stuff, no question, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Fender guy...

raggydoll

Über Member
Been a while since I shared any picking. Here's a song a wrote a few weeks back about some of the times my dad and I shared. He died back in April, and Father's Day seems like a good day to share this with you good folks.

Made him proud! :smile:

1624369202494.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Done an hour and a half on the '69 Precision replica today, about half the band's set. It sounds fantastic but is just too heavy to wear for 3 hours.

Sooo, after much deliberation ive plumped on the Harley Benton MM and the Ibanez PJ as my live tools. The both sound brilliant, and are fairly light. The Squier '54 precison is a touch heavier but still wearable for a gig, but it looks so gorgeous im frigh4terened to mar the finish, and when the cheap basses sound so great and are so nice to play I have no reason to risk it.

raggydoll

Über Member
Done an hour and a half on the '69 Precision replica today, about half the band's set. It sounds fantastic but is just too heavy to wear for 3 hours.

Sooo, after much deliberation ive plumped on the Harley Benton MM and the Ibanez PJ as my live tools. The both sound brilliant, and are fairly light. The Squier '54 precison is a touch heavier but still wearable for a gig, but it looks so gorgeous im frigh4terened to mar the finish, and when the cheap basses sound so great and are so nice to play I have no reason to risk it.

Good decision. Keep the good ones good! 👍
Your gear will quickly get dinged up playing live.

They're great - right up until the plastic goes sticky & disintegrates! I did get a replacement from them for mine about 5 years back, but not sure if they still do that, there was a thread over on BassChat with a few folk disappointed, if I remember.
I've had replacements for both the stickiness and for failures in said sticky plastic. At one point, they were so keen, I built a second stand out of the excess bits they sent me! It must be said that I've not had one that hasn't had a problem, but this was in very heavy gigging use over twelve years. Given the choice they are still what I would buy.

Top Bottom