The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this little widget that solves the 'to slot or not to slot' the soundboard (lid) quandary...

View attachment 597257

a truss rod wheel adaptor!

Only problem is, the hex on the nut is 5mm and the hex on the wheel is 4mm, so i figured I'd just buy a new nut with a 4mm hex.

But the thread on my trussrod is M6 and all the nuts i can find with a 4mm hex are M5.

And I'm struggling to find a truss nut with the wheel in M6... so am now reluctantly toying with possibly gluing the two together :blush:

Epoxy is the obvious guess since there's a good half mm gap to fill between the hex fitting and socket... but I'm open to suggestions.

View attachment 597261

The nut, when just engaging with the truss is flush, so I'm supposing I'll have to make/leave a little playroom for the wheel... but how much? I've never really touched any of my truss rods but I'm guessing I won't ever need more than a couple of turns on that nut??

Q: does the nut even wind in at all, or is the rod being pulled through it??

edit... instead of glue, i'm gonna try this:
View attachment 597321

an M6 threaded connector that's 25mm long and 9mm dia. (same as my current truss nut) with a hex screw in the end. :okay:

initially i thought an M6 grub screw glued into the cylinder would work, but they have a 3mm hex... and cap screws have 5mm but luckily countersunk M6 screws have a 4mm hex, albeit a shallow looking one. Can't see why it won't work... but i am making it up as i go :blush:
Frankly, i think it will fail. That kind of torsional strain will crack the epoxy easily. Just cut a slot...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Frankly, i think it will fail. That kind of torsional strain will crack the epoxy easily. Just cut a slot...
it'll need a slot to accommodate the wheel... but the wheel fills the slot and deals with my OCD. ...and I've concocted a truss nut that avoids epoxy... which should work (with a bit of fettling).

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
is that the one where she'd just sold the last one and Lemmy went and blagged it out of the hands of the purchaser? :laugh:
Yep but to be fair she decided to allow him to purchase it, it wasn't like he even asked the woman who I think actually worked there

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
God can blag whatever he wants, or smite those that displease him.

I quite like the unbound 4003S eith normal dot inlays. Very similar to one McCartney was using during the Wings era.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Im thinking along these lines...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_beatbass_vs_vintage_ser_bundle.htm

The model gets some great reviews, its has proper bass tuners jnstead3 of the godawful guitar tuners on the Hofner, I have first hand experience of the superb HB quality and playability, and its superb value with the hardcase, flats and VAT + fees included in the price.

MontyVeda

... instead of glue, i'm gonna try this:
View attachment 597321

an M6 threaded connector that's 25mm long and 9mm dia. (same as my current truss nut) with a hex screw in the end. :okay:

Typically, the M6 connector was actually 10mm dia when it arrived, which wouldn't fit in the hole on the neck.

For a truss-rod nut, it doesn't look at all promising...

...but I put my thinking head on, mounted the connector on a bolt, put it in the pillar drill and began filing it down to 9mm...

I also countersunk one end of the connector so the screw would fit further into it, then ground the screw head down to the same diameter as the cylinder.

Quite chuffed with my bodged truss-rob nut ^_^

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Ugly guitar alert!

85cf3eda73bd46e70cfdc61d745113cc.jpg

When i first saw the Ovation Deacon, I thought (quite rightly) what the flipping nelly is that? What the feck were they thinking??

It's ugly to say the least 💩

However then i saw it being played; perched on the lap it's fugly shape all of a sudden makes perfect sense...

and now it's growing on me. I kinda want one :wub:

I'd never be able to play it like this though.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ugly guitar alert!

It's ugly so say the least 💩

However then i saw it being played; perched on the lap it's fugly shape all of a sudden makes perfect sense...

and now it's growing on me. I kinda want one :wub:
Rather like this headless bass I discovered recently. I always thought they were ugly but since I found this Bootlegger Ace I’m beginning to change my mind.
https://bootleggerguitar.com/ace-bass/

1626204405167.jpeg

Like you say when perched on your knee, which is how I play, makes perfect sense. Price is very reasonable.

Top Bottom