The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Easily one of the greatest bands ever.
Followed them religiously since 1980, and for years would have considered them my favourite band, & still my single biggest musical inspiration. I can't deny that Old Bignose himself is my single biggest influence as a bassist, and try as I might to play it down, he's all over my own playing!

Re the Old Spice skit, Geddy's always been more of a team player & never really played solos, apart from things like the little breaks in YYZ & La Villa. Probably Rush fit that old description of The Who, though - three soloists playing at the same time!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I needed cheering up so ive ordered the Harley Benton violin hass and hard case set.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Don’t know how you’d learn these days, I learnt from Bert Weedon’s ‘Play in a Day’ book, took me about six months before I could strum a tune :laugh:. I guess you learn online now?
I've recently bought a cheap second hand guitar and started 'playing' again after a break of nearly 30 years. The one difference I've noticed is how much easier it must be to learn now thanks to the internet. You can find lessons and tuition on YouTube, there are websites full of transcribed songs by almost anyone you can think of, and I can even tune my guitar using my phone.

I've just added this to 'The Chain'. but I think he's absolutely & definitely worthy of inclusion here:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Jerry Reed, his version of The Devil Went Down To Georgia
He's added a verse, & changed a few words to suit a guitar-player, rather than a fiddle
Just listen to how fluidic that guitar is!

There's one particular clip on YouTube, where he's playing with Chet Atkins, & Chet seems to be looking at him & thinking "How the heck can you play that damned good"

Don't forget, that he wrote (& thus got the big money for)
A Thing Called Love as covered by Johnny Cash
Guitar Man he also played on Presleys version

Last edited:
I'm surprised than Brian Setzers not been mentioned much here, even by me:whistle:

To all intents & purposes, he (& the other 2 Cats) were really instrumental (ha!) in reintroducing Rockabilly as a musical genre
Then,,, he did it again for Swing/Big Band, with the Brian Setzer Orchestra

He was the first artist, since Chet Atkins to have a signature range created by Gretsch
Atkins range was created in 1955, the Setzer introduced in (I think 1990?)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u3p-7h8zYs

https://gretschguitars.com/artists/brian-setzer-profile
https://americanhistory.si.edu/ar/press/releases/smithsonian-receives-brian-setzer’s-gretsch-guitar

He even played Eddie Cochrane, one of his heroes in the biopic about Ritchie Valens; La Bamba

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixOAZDUX7wE

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I adore my Hofner Shorty, but the damn thing won't stay in turn for 6p seconds (intonation is spot on) so Ive decided to ditch the small guitar type turners as they ain't up the the job of hefting mighty bass strings. Found a set of Grovers at a sensible price, so theyre now winging their way yo me.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's NBD!:wahhey:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Goodness gracious me!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
First impressions...a huge sound from something so small!

Set up was poor out the box, but no matter as virtually no one, including me, uses the original barbed wire that passes for strings on new instruments. On went a set of Rotosound flatties, action was good and needed no adjust,ent, neck relief was also bang on target, intonation surprisingly easy to set fairly well despite the floating bridge.

The finish isn't as hard edged as, say, a Yamaha, but theres not a flaw anywhere. Flet job is reasonable, end finishing decent enough that i need my reading glasses to see any marks. These come out of the same factory as the Epiphone Viola, so its little surprise that there is little to criticise on the firpt and finish.

Great fun to play and that enormous sound makes it a real giggle. Not bad at all for £199 with the hard case. Thats not the first Harley Benton on the fleet, and I don't think it'll be the last.

However, before I buy any more basses im planning to embark on a programme of pickup, turner and electronic upgrades right across the fleet.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Recommended learning books for a 13 year old just getting her beginner guitar set up. I can tech it all but way out of touch with what people use to learn these days. She sees you tube a lot.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Tricky, I had guitar lessons and I was younger and eas a fairly confident guitarist before making the switch to bass, so i already had the fundamentals. I cqn read music, not brilliantly, but good enough that ifmi take my time im aleays learning new stuff. I read Bass Player mag for technique tios, and pooptube is an amazing respirce, but lord knows i couldnt recommend a book for a young un im afraid,

Top Bottom