The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
It`s funny how most of "the greats" are 60`s, 70`s stars. I wonder if it`s a generational thing? There are a myriad of guitarists out there who, on some tracks/ albums are phenomenal! Francis Dunnery springs to mind (It Bites/ solo)
We always seem to think of great guitarists but for me, the greats are songwriters/musicians. So Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) would be up there alongside Lennon/ McCartney, Bowie, Elton John. The list goes on. None would be said to be "Great" guitarists, pianists but my Dog did they give us some great tunes!
Mike Oldfield? Why not? Jeff Lynne? I`ll have to stop now or I`ll run out of space ^_^

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
can we kick Mike Oldfield off the table and put someone else in his place?
I cant say im a huge oldfueld fan, but when he's on form he's peerless. Five Miles Out, his heavy rock inspired album, was in a class of its own at the time. The Tubular Bells stuff might be better now, but its poncy and far from his best work.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1mVl2NHaw

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I cant say im a huge oldfueld fan, but when he's on form he's peerless. Five Miles Out, his heavy rock inspired album, was in a class of its own at the time. The Tubular Bells stuff might be better now, but its poncy and far from his best work.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1mVl2NHaw

I haven’t heard that in years. I’ve got a picture disc of it in store somewhere. Don’t think I was a particular fan of his playing but I did like the tone and he’s one of the reasons I bought a (cheap copy) SG.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We always seem to think of great guitarists but for me, the greats are songwriters/musicians.
in the thread titled 'the bassist and guitarist thread'... following a post about the 13 greatest progressive guitar players... it's not that surprising that we're not really focused on songwriters and pianists or keyboarderers

As for Oldfield... he bores me senseless and I've heard a lot more than just TB (he was even in Gong for a while, when they were at their worst:eek:). Yes, stick Jeff Lyne in his place :okay:

carpiste

Guru
in the thread titled 'the bassist and guitarist thread'... following a post about the 13 greatest progressive guitar players... it's not that surprising that we're not really focused on songwriters and pianists or keyboarderers

As for Oldfield... he bores me senseless and I've heard a lot more than just TB (he was even in Gong for a while, when they were at their worst:eek:). Yes, stick Jeff Lyne in his place :okay:
I understand that. I love guitarists as much as the next man I was just adding a different take on it. Sorry!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Our band have made a democratic decision - which everyone but myself voted for - to add Sweet Caroline to the setlist as an end of the evening singalong. If you think it's boring to listen to then you ain't seen nothing yet, cost its 10 times as boring to play on bass.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It`s funny how most of "the greats" are 60`s, 70`s stars. I wonder if it`s a generational thing? There are a myriad of guitarists out there who, on some tracks/ albums are phenomenal! Francis Dunnery springs to mind (It Bites/ solo)
We always seem to think of great guitarists but for me, the greats are songwriters/musicians. So Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) would be up there alongside Lennon/ McCartney, Bowie, Elton John. The list goes on. None would be said to be "Great" guitarists, pianists but my Dog did they give us some great tunes!
Mike Oldfield? Why not? Jeff Lynne? I`ll have to stop now or I`ll run out of space ^_^
If your dog says so then they must be good. :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Our band have made a democratic decision - which everyone but myself voted for - to add Sweet Caroline to the setlist as an end of the evening singalong. If you think it's boring to listen to then you ain't seen nothing yet, cost its 10 times as boring to play on bass.
Cracklin' Rose would be a better choice... dunno about the bassline but it's a love song about a bottle of wine. What's not to like! :okay:

Top Bottom