The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See, I more often than not play standing up.
I'd love to, but can't anymore...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I do as much as I can so I remain used to playing that way live. Only the '69 precision replica is so heavy that it limits my endurance, all the others are fine. Im going to use the Harley Benton MB4 and thr Ibanez live, they both sound great and are light.

Wierdly, the Hofner shorty is great standing up. It is prone to neck dive, even across my wide shoulders, but the point at which I rest my forearm balances it perfectly and its great to play that way. I revently discovered they do a violin bass version of the shorty, with the pickup much closer to the neck. I nearly suffered spontaneous structural failure of the Y fronts when I first saw one,

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Rather like this headless bass I discovered recently. I always thought they were ugly but since I found this Bootlegger Ace I’m beginning to change my mind.
https://bootleggerguitar.com/ace-bass/

View attachment 599007

Like you say when perched on your knee, which is how I play, makes perfect sense. Price is very reasonable.
That's interesting - seen these pop up on Ebay a few times & it never clicked the body shape's a more angular take on the Deacon/Breadwinner. Quite like it in a wonky/wrong-looking sort of way.

I'm a sucker for a nice headless - my most recent bassy acquisition is a Riverhead Unicorn (had GAS for one since I tried one in the Bass Centre in 1980-something), needs a fret dress but otherwise in great, original condition for a 35-odd year old bass.

unicorn1.jpg

I've also got an original Hohner B2A, (which I've had from new & bought because I couldn't afford the Riverhead!) and a Cort B2 Space, from the same era & which has the same licensed Steinberger hardware as the Hohner.

Possibly the best thing about headless basses is how little room they take up!

delb0y

Legendary Member
I had the Hohner headless guitar once, way back:

Was probably the easiest / fastest guitar to play that I've owned, and bending string was just too easy. Access to the high frets was incredible, too. And it was so small you could almost get it in your pocket. But I got fed up with always having to buy special strings and I never thought that it looked very rock'n'roll, either.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My daughter is getting a guitar for her birthday. She wants to play like Stevie Ray Vaughan! I'm investing in a good starter set up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My daughter is getting a guitar for her birthday. She wants to play like Stevie Ray Vaughan! I'm investing in a good starter set up.
These stater sets are very good quality now. Can’t speak for the amp but my Rockjam bass which came in a set off Amazon is very good quality for the price, fit and finish is excellent and there are no sharp fret ends. I’d recommend one of the Harley Benton sets which get good reviews from Thomann in Germany. You might have to pay tax though post brexit. One of those from Gear4music in the U.K. would be a good alternative.
Impress on your daughter that it will take perseverance and sore fingers to learn. Don’t know how you’d learn these days, I learnt from Bert Weedon’s ‘Play in a Day’ book, took me about six months before I could strum a tune :laugh:. I guess you learn online now?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm very lucky that I used to work for Gibson so know my way around guitars but stupidly never learned to play. Maybe it will encourage me to have a go. ^_^

Top Bottom