The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Many moons ago I was a moderately decent guitar player. Not the best by a long stretch, but I could make some pleasing sounds and did a stretch in a pub band. Paid my dues.

Things went awry when I broke my elbow 11 years ago. Initially I found it difficult to get my forearm in the correct position, and once it healed healed that resolved itself I then started to lose the feeling in my 2 outside fingers and that really did start to cause me problems with finger picking. I could still strum and pick a solo, but felt a bit emasculated and eventually gave it up in frustration, finally selling my guitars.

Well, the other day Mini D asked if I would teach her to okay guitar. I'd be glad to, and this prompted a discussion between myself and Mrs D about me returning to playing, help me fill a bit of time with something constructive. I was unsure as I'd face the same problems as before, but then Mrs D suggested that I try bass guitar. With a third less real estate for my right hand to cover, the thumb and remaining 2 properly working fingers have a fighting chance of managing.

Now, I had played a little bass way back when om bandmates instruments, but nothing serious and I'd never really got the groove or become proficient. Nevertheless, I understand the tuning and left hand finger positions so over the last day or so ive been listening to songs and pretending to use my 3 working right digits to play, and I reckon it's a goer.

So, next up is to get bass geetar and an amp, and get jiggy with it.

So, my questions - any players on here? I'm guessing that @DCBassman might be. Any guidance on a good book for someone who already has a basic grasp of the instrument and wants to progress to intermediate level? Any tips on an entry level bass that isn't a total piece of sheet? Any advice for dealing with the young groupies?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Can fart about on a bass and hold a rhythm but haven't owned one for a good while now.

What I really really want next is a tenor or baritone sax.

And a remote field to play it in.

Many moons ago I was a moderately decent guitar player. Not the best by a long stretch, but I could make some pleasing sounds and did a stretch in a pub band. Paid my dues.

Things went awry when I broke my elbow 11 years ago. Initially I found it difficult to get my forearm in the correct position, and once it healed healed that resolved itself I then started to lose the feeling in my 2 outside fingers and that really did start to cause me problems with finger picking. I could still strum and pick a solo, but felt a bit emasculated and eventually gave it up in frustration, finally selling my guitars.

Well, the other day Mini D asked if I would teach her to okay guitar. I'd be glad to, and this prompted a discussion between myself and Mrs D about me returning to playing, help me fill a bit of time with something constructive. I was unsure as I'd face the same problems as before, but then Mrs D suggested that I try bass guitar. With a third less real estate for my right hand to cover, the thumb and remaining 2 properly working fingers have a fighting chance of managing.

Now, I had played a little bass way back when om bandmates instruments, but nothing serious and I'd never really got the groove or become proficient. Nevertheless, I understand the tuning and left hand finger positions so over the last day or so ive been listening to songs and pretending to use my 3 working right digits to play, and I reckon it's a goer.

So, next up is to get bass geetar and an amp, and get jiggy with it.

So, my questions - any players on here? I'm guessing that @DCBassman might be. Any guidance on a good book for someone who already has a basic grasp of the instrument and wants to progress to intermediate level? Any tips on an entry level bass that isn't a total piece of sheet? Any advice for dealing with the young groupies?
Good luck with it. Had a bass when i was a student but never really got anywhere, so migrated to 6 string and still play a bit but badly. Love listening to Entwistle, Tony Levin, Mick Kahn and the like though...the backbone of any great band imo.

Seevio

Guru
If you can play guitar you can play bass to an acceptable standard. It's still going to take practice to get the more complicated techniques right but that's to be expected.

When buying a bass, make sure you actually go into a music shop and test the sound and feel for yourself. You're going to be the one playing so don't rely on other people's opinions and don't buy a BC Rich heritage classic neck-through Mockingbird off the Internet because you liked the look of it.

A bass is longer and heavier than a guitar so it is easier to beat away the inevitable young female groupies.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... Any tips on an entry level bass that isn't a total piece of sheet? Any advice for dealing with the young groupies?
Just go to a shop and try a few... buy the one that you like the feel of and that you find easy to play. If none of them tickle your fancy, go to another shop until you find one you like. As for groupies, just check their ID first and make sure it isn't fake.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I started to teach myself bass last year, but following the removal of the tip of my right finger in January I have had to give up as I just can't fret. I have been thinking of trying a left hand one as strumming should be ok with the left hand.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I learned on 6 string but played Bass in a band for a while. I had quite a rubbish, passive Bass, and quite a rubbish amp but we mostly played metal so it was good enough. My advice would be get a nice active Bass and a good amp. The rest can be tweaked with pedals etc. YouTube will no doubt have 8 million really helpful tutorials.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Giving up guitar just because of a couple of bad fingers ? Didn't put this fella off

View: https://youtu.be/PQhTpgicdx4

Lee_M

Guru
If you can play guitar you can play bass to an acceptable standard. It's still going to take practice to get the more complicated techniques right but that's to be expected.

I never found that, I could play guitar to a reasonable standard but could never just pick up a bass and play. In fact I've still got one getting dusty that I never use as I'm a drummer mostly.

I know people say that's the case, but it never had been for me

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I started to teach myself bass last year, but following the removal of the tip of my right finger in January I have had to give up as I just can't fret. I have been thinking of trying a left hand one as strumming should be ok with the left hand.
Toni Iomii lost the tips of several... didn't stop him from being heavy metal's most influential guitarist :okay:

edited to add... In fact, if he hadn't lost his finger tips he wouldn't have been. He had to down tune his guitar to lower the tension on the strings... giving his riffs that low roaring metal sound we all take for granted these days.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
My grandaughter (14) plays bass in the school pit band. She came along leaps and bounds once she learned to read music. She also attends a half hour weekly evening class but its probably £20 a time.
Sadly (for me, from a selfish perspective), she's not stopping playing but stopping the evening class in favour of ballet.

Lets hope Drago doesn't follow suit :eek:

Basses come in all shapes and sizes, but they are not always the same scale length. I have inherited the bass that my daughter bought for herself some time ago, and it's a long scale bass, which makes some scales and riffs quite a stretch for me, as I only have moderate sized hands. If I were to buy a bass for myself, I would want to try at least one short scale bass to see if it's easier. But that's just me......

Definitely hunt out a decent sized music shop, and try a range of instruments to see what your hands tell you is the best for you.

Have fun!

Top Bottom