The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Further to posts of @DCBassman and @AuroraSaab and the convenience of having an amp handy I recently got a the Blackstar Fly3 in the twin speaker bass configuration. This can be powered by six AA batteries alone so is perfect for this application.
It puts out 3 watts as a single but doubles up to 6 with the additional speaker. With the double unit you also get the mains PS included which I think is about £13 if bought separately.
The output of this small unit is quite staggering considering its size. You get controls for Gain, EQ, Comp and there's a sub control for deeper bass. I haven't yet discovered all the permutations you can achieve but you can get a huge variety of tones.
If you're considering one of these units for practising you won't be disappointed

Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Thanks for all the ideas and tips.
Will try them out.Will definitely leave the amp set up as I keep putting everything away.Simple idea that I am sure will help.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Much happening in the world of Drago bass playing.

I'm working on adding a bit of Franz Ferdinand to the repertoire, and I've bought a computer interface and I'm experimenting with practicing at home playing through the computer using an amp and effects simulator program. its easy to see how aspiring artists get obsessed by home studio recording.

Oxford Dave

New here, but not new to playing music. I've been playing bass guitar for 40 years or more, currently playing in a Grateful Dead tribute/cover band, lots of fun and regular gigs. I also dep with other bands as and when the chance arises. Mainly use Fender basses, have dabbled with Ibanez and Alembic, most recent purchase was a Sandberg which could well eclipse the Fenders. I'm sure some of the people here are also on similar forums for guitarists and/or bass players, wonder who I know!

New here, but not new to playing music. I've been playing bass guitar for 40 years or more, currently playing in a Grateful Dead tribute/cover band, lots of fun and regular gigs. I also dep with other bands as and when the chance arises. Mainly use Fender basses, have dabbled with Ibanez and Alembic, most recent purchase was a Sandberg which could well eclipse the Fenders. I'm sure some of the people here are also on similar forums for guitarists and/or bass players, wonder who I know!
Telebass from Basschat.

RMFrance

Interesting thread - I've been a pro and semi-pro guitar (electric and acoustic) player all my working life. Bass playing is to be highly respected, and a great bass-player is a real asset to any band (or duo). Yes, some of the shorter-scale basses are worth a try, but if you've played guitar then you might find a Fender Jazz Bass (or clone) okay to handle compared to a Precision, which has a wider neck. Check out the better Squier copies of both.
One thing I'd add is that while guitar instincts/habits are great to speed the transition, there's also the need to get your head into Bass Mode - I bet we'll all have come across 'lead bass players'... :0)
Main thing is: good luck, have fun and keep us posted!

might find a Fender Jazz Bass (or clone) okay to handle compared to a Precision, which has a wider neck.
Mine's a hybrid - Jazz neck on a Precision body. Job done.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Welcome to the Treble Free Zone Dave! You're not a gazillion miles away so maybe I'll catch your band sometime.

I'm a lurker on some bass forums, but not felt the need to sign up to any as yet.

Oxford Dave

Welcome to the Treble Free Zone Dave! You're not a gazillion miles away so maybe I'll catch your band sometime.

I'm a lurker on some bass forums, but not felt the need to sign up to any as yet.
Be good see you at one of our shows, but most are in London at the moment - the band members are spread cross the country, from London to Yorkshire. We rehearse in Leicester - a 180 mile round trip for me - and the same or more for some of the others.

Top Bottom