The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With all this talk about how picks ups and winding can this affect the sound? I note that people selling them make a big fuss about them being hand wound. I want to ask can this really make them sound better and are other lesser pickups which presumably are machine wound any worse? Does it really make a difference? Would they be better if they were wound on the thighs of eighteen year old virgins?

No pickups have been literally hand wound in decades. All use some sort of machine. The difference is whether you do it in regimented layers or what's known as 'scatterwound'.
Whether it makes a great difference, who knows?
Bareknuckles are mostly scatterwound, fir example, and they do seem rather popular!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im no expert but the science behind it means handwound/scatterwound pickups tend to sound a lot better (or 'different') than machine wound due to the non uniform layering of the copper wire and thus probably affects how the magnetic response of the magnets, resulting in different tonal characteristics of the pickups.

That doesnt mean that machine made pickups are bad though. Music is always a journey of discovery and finding what you like or suits you the best.

There is a lot of science behind it when it comes to manufacturers asking artists about what they'd like to hear from their signature set of pickups. more layers of copper, different gauges of copper wire?? or maybe a different combination of magnet?

I dont know the science I just know how to make screechy cat noises when i pickup an instrument

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So, my amp has shuffled off to the musical graveyard. I definitely need a few more watts ^_^

Things like Bluguitar are all the rage these days - They are like super portable amp heads with modeling capabilities. There are a less than a handful companies that make similar products like these as they are still kinda new to the market.

'Hotone Mojo' is another

They are getting quite popular as they are compact, sound pretty good and have a lot of features for home recording. If i had the money id go for one too.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What was the old one? If you're flush, look at at a small Barefaced cab, they do them for guitar these days too!
Laney 10w practice jobbie :laugh:

My funding isn't stretching to either of those suggestions :ohmy: I'd be looking at the Fender Rumble 25, Ashdown Studio 8 or maybe stretch to the Orange Crush 25 - all combos

Meanwhile, Thomann are shipping me a Behringer USB interface so I can record to the pc. Never tried this before, and need to then get comfy with a DAW of some description...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I tell you what. Those Harley Benton guitars are looking really really nice for the money. Of course they are no contest for the £3000 guitar they are imitating in terms of build quality but they are rivalling a lot of cheaper korean made guitars around the same price range.

Its a lot of guitar for the money.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Get all sorts turning up here and have just seen this bass branded as a Kimberly. Obviously a Musiciman knock off. Haven't been able to find much about them other than they were Japanese, possibly from the 70s. Worth buying for £80?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for the appraisal @RoubaixCube Im going to look at it so I can check out condition. No hatch on the back so I guess it’s passive. I’ll report back when I see it.
Will go well with my other Japanese made Fernandes.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I tell you what. Those Harley Benton guitars are looking really really nice for the money. Of course they are no contest for the £3000 guitar they are imitating in terms of build quality but they are rivalling a lot of cheaper korean made guitars around the same price range.

Its a lot of guitar for the money.
A lot of £3000 instruments aren't worth the price tag in terms of build quality... you pay at least £2000 just for the name on the headstock :whistle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
A lot of £3000 instruments aren't worth the price tag in terms of build quality... you pay at least £2000 just for the name on the headstock :whistle:

Thats debatable. With £3000 guitars the finishes tend to be better or have more 'variance' or 'vibrance' about them but £2000 gets you some really good finishes too. Youre not gonna get the same level of attention to detail or workmanship. but between £2000 and £3000 it can be harder to pick out. But how else are they supposed to cheat you out of £3000 for a few blocks of wood? :laugh::laugh:

It just depends if youre enough of a snob or not to own a £3000 guitar. My own PRS cost me about £600 (i think) back in the day but id rather grab something cheaper and just upgrade everything on it

Id be well happy with one of them Harley Bentons for that matter. Imagine getting that level of quality for £300-400 some 20-30 years ago. Absolutely unheard of.

Top Bottom