The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ruined EastEnders for Mrs D by playing along to Foreigner's Hot Blooded at a rather loud volume.
Good, you should discourage her by whatever means possible.
;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It’s well made and finished and the string action is good but the strings are rubbish and the tuning heads have too much play in them but I think it can be made to play really nicely. Takes a bit of getting used to after the long scale.
I bought a guitarlele years back and was quite obsessed with it for a few months... when i went back to a standard guitar it was almost like taking a short stroll between one fret and the next

Last edited:

SGG on a bike

Guitar wise, my main weapon of choice is a 2012 Gibson Midtown P90, but in reserve I have a 2010 G&L Legacy and a 2001 Yamaha SG700s. I don't tend to use any pedals, so any or all of those run through one of a selection of amps, usually my Trevinitone TT15 or TT18. I've also got a Trevinitone TT5 and TT20, which sit happily alongside Gibson GA15 and Trace Elliot Velocette. All the amps are valve powered. No pics of instruments on their own, so you'll have to put up with me being in them too.

Gibson Midtown

Gibson Midtown and Goldtone amp

G&L Legacy

Yamaha SG700s

TT15

TT15 circuit board

TT5 minus proper front panel - just for a giggle. I'm sure you can work out who's who!

Finally, me at Dereham Blues Festival last year.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know older fenders are fetching silly prices even in poor condition but this.....Don’t know what happened, maybe thei account was hacked or they uploaded the wrong picture but quite amusing.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wasn’t going to buy it but in the end I couldn’t resist. Kimberley, made in Japan. I’ve cleaned it up, it was filthy, and touched in the dents and chips, put some chrome control knobs on it and a set of Rotosound strings.(strung through the body). Neck is straight (42mm at the nut) and the truss rod works. Still got to sort the action and intonation. Got that classic Musicman growl. Although the electrics are old they are quiet and operate well.
Not too bad for seventy quid.

Don’t know what the fabric is for but it’s not a battery box and I don’t think it hides anything nasty. It’s very heavy so I imagine it’s mahogany.

Last edited:
I wasn’t going to buy it but in the end I couldn’t resist. Kimberley, made in Japan. I’ve cleaned it up, it was filthy, and touched in the dents and chips, put some chrome control knobs on it and a set of Rotosound strings.(strung through the body). Neck is straight (42mm at the nut) and the truss rod works. Still got to sort the action and intonation. Got that classic Musicman growl. Although the electrics are old they are quiet and operate well.
View attachment 529295

Very tidy for 70 squids.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
View attachment 529295
View attachment 529299

Don’t know what the fabric is for but it’s not a battery box and I don’t think it hides anything nasty. It’s very heavy so I imagine it’s mahogany.
That's a really nice Music Man copy. Could the fabric be some kind of belt buckle protector?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a really nice Music Man copy. Could the fabric be some kind of belt buckle protector?
That's the conclusion I was drawn to. The back has virtually no marks, quite remarkable when I believe it could date back to the late seventies. Can't find much out about Kimberly other than they were made for a US distributor. Wonder if Musicman threatened to sue?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was wondering what everyone's favourite strings were? I've tried a few now and am coming to the conclusion that D'Addario are pretty nice. Also tried some cheap Chinese strings bought here for £3 which were surprisingly good.

I only use flatwounds, either D'Addario ECB-81 Chromes or slightly lighter gauge Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Both can be quite bright if needed, particularly the Cobalts, which actually have a round underwinding.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I was wondering what everyone's favourite strings were? I've tried a few now and am coming to the conclusion that D'Addario are pretty nice. Also tried some cheap Chinese strings bought here for £3 which were surprisingly good.
Congrats on finding the Kimberley.
The Stingray, for me, is out of the top drawer of bass design. An ash body and maple neck strung with nickels is a great sound.
I'm a fan of nickel strings. D'Addario XL were a favourite: unfortunately started to get a couple of dud strings and tried La Bella in place. They've been great and I haven't changed since. https://www.labella.com/strings/category/4-string-set/

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I used D'Addario flats in 105. Very nice to play, very reasonably priced.

Top Bottom