The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You want an LK edition Rickenbacker bass.

This!!

13a3b3f2701dd7b--rockabilly-bands-rockabilly-style.jpg

4d67451f51bc5d368e7bb33def718881.jpg

Jim Cardiff

With all the talk about banjos on here and there being a few bass players too I thought I would share this video of Foggy Mountain Breakdown played on a bass. Quite incredible piece of playing.

View: https://youtu.be/HUIsiou0gj4

I was at the Pizza Express jazz club in Soho a couple of years back when the band called up Yolanda Charles from the audience and she and the drummer did an incredible improvisation (during which the drummer lost a shoe and cut his hand!) She usually plays a 5 string bass. Quite a player. - see eg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChgDcuOJuHA

No banjo though!

I’d go for the orange @Richard A Thackeray :okay:

Why is it Gretsch don’t seem to be so popular these days?
@Cycleops
It probably would be the orange, as l’ve liked the colour since first seeing colourised pictures of Eddie Cochran playing one, & of course, Brian Setzer too

Popularity?
Can’t say, unless it looks too ‘old fashioned’
They have a fair stable of signature artists though!
Setzer, in the 90s, was the first since Chet Atkins, in the 60s!

Another lesser known Gretsch devotee was Poison Ivy, of The Cramps
I thought I ought to use a more 'prim' photograph of her..................:becool:

8B5DB01A-FE68-4596-BD92-025C87FF21D0.jpeg

EDIT @ 11:13
Four pages; https://gretschguitars.com/artists

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
He couldn’t do a D chord. He said his ‘fingers didn’t fit on the strings’. After a week he couldn’t or daren’t progress to a A chord as he assumed it would be harder.
I am a bad person as I didn’t disillusion him. Just handed over the money. When I first learned, it took me a bit to get that D chord tidy but never looked back after. I still, sometimes have to think with a D minor.

I have forgotten my scales but remembered the first couple of bars of Cliffs of Dover. First few bars of Evil Eye too.

Very glad that the lad had no stickability. I really love that little amp he sold it with too. It’s really rather good.
I find open A a bit of a squash in its standard position, and tend to play it up at the 5th instead, shown in the bottom image...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I find open A a bit of a squash in its standard position, and tend to play it up at the 5th instead, shown in the bottom image...
View attachment 620650
I like that. Thank you. I have little girly hands so an A isn’t a big issue for me.
I mostly have problems changing chords quickly, but practicing that a lot now. Going from Em to D is a doddle, then hopping to a C is tricky for me. I could just stop playing Eleanor Rigby but of course, but it’s the only bit that still catches me out.

Really enjoying re-engaging with guitar. I have the Justin-guitar app. With that and a metronome, it’s slowly coming along. Some days, my annoying hands, just say that playing isn’t happening. I do try to just do a couple of finger exercise, on those days, just to get them moving. My job is brain numbing so learning again, as well as my Dutch language app, keeps my brain from shrivelling up from lack of use.

carpiste

Guru
As a badly self-tought strummer I've always taken the cavalier one finger approach to playing an open A, but I too have always suffered with the speed of changes problem These days I just play slower stuff.
I just go down the open tuning route and barre everything. Easy and no or little stress on the fingers/ brain :okay:
Even better I mostly play 3 string GDG or DAD ^_^

Top Bottom