The beauty in the everyday....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Starlings a'plenty round here. They make any sound they like, clicks, squeaks, squarks, whistles. They do the lot
I think they're mimics. Pick up sounds from their locale - so sometimes that is car alarms et al!
(hope I've got the right bird ...)

Anyway, handsome fellas, to be sure. 2nd only to magpies round here, but of more likeable character. A few were eating cake off our patio yesterday.

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
b5832301-4536-42b8-8b0f-b3c7d3abb647.JPG

Maddy the manta - taken by one of my son's colleagues - and seen a couple of days ago in the channel off his island in Fiji

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They are beautiful. Unfortunately they seem to be getting braver around here and a couple of locals who keep hens are having problems just now, but it's just nature in action so apart from very secure fencing, it's a risk you take keeping poultry outdoors I suppose.
There are no foxes on Mull. The only one I heard of was found dead by the roadside. My Wildlife Ranger pal reckons it was killed on the mainland and put there to wind him up.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They are beautiful. Unfortunately they seem to be getting braver around here and a couple of locals who keep hens are having problems just now, but it's just nature in action so apart from very secure fencing, it's a risk you take keeping poultry outdoors I suppose.
as long as otherwise well-meaning people in urban areas don't start feeding them... numbers will remain low and manageable if they still have to scavenge their own food and remain scared of people..

Dave7

Legendary Member
On fb this morning this photo was posted....

View attachment 587724

Stunning! Almost exotic. The humble much maligned Starling is a thing of everyday beauty that to most goes-by barely noticed.

It’s said that lockdowns have made us appreciate simple/beautiful things more than ever, be it nature, art, and all kinds of miscellaneous stuff.

So what beauty do you find in the everyday?
When the sun catches them they are indeed a thing of beauty.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
They come up each spring between the cracks in the paving in my back yard. Some people have asked why I let the weeds grow unchecked. I reply that they are not weeds, they are zero-cost, zero-effort flowers! :laugh:
And they are extremely good for pollinators as an early source of food.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Our garden has lots of dandelions. I love the symmetry of the seeded heads when they are a perfect sphere. I never weed them out; I feed them to our bunny. He eats the heads like he's having candyfloss.

We had a flock of green parakeets in our tree for a few nights last year. Very noisy but quite something to watch.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
As I get older I dislike working more and more but my appreciation of the immediate environment has increased to partly make up for it. Everything is so wonderful.

I found an account on Twitter at the start of this year (@Bas21) which Tweets paintings of modern suburban scenes- partly due to this I've started taking more time to look at stuff I ride or walk past on a daily basis. Also it was not being able to go anywhere except work due to the Covid thing- turns out there's plenty of things within minutes of where I live that I've never really seen.

On the commute: an estate entrance near a roundabout (why's that wall got it's own little roof?)
IMG_20210215_071844058.jpg

I've stopped there more than once...
IMG_20210212_072151375.jpg

I was working near this east window in the morning, the technician had repotted some plants which had suckered off a larger plant elsewhere.
IMG_20210419_092918199_HDR.jpg

Work: 'our' side of the building is getting tired and there's hardly anyone on site- working sometimes feels like urban exploration.
IMG_20210416_075014950.jpg

An alleyway on the industrial estate. I look forward to my lunchtime walk. This isn't the usual cat I see there.
This spring I've learned to recognise wildflowers and butterflies from walking around the back of the estate. Mushrooms in the autumn. There are small pockets of woodland in between the light industrial units and housing estates.
IMG_20210428_123117135.jpg

Top Bottom