The beginning of the end of rear stays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
0cd_bbq_ang_small.jpg

Details here.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I doubt it- nice bike but it looks like a right pain in the arse.

jimboalee

Good 'ole Cannondale. Always trying something a bit unusual.

I think its called a 'swingarm beam'.

Someone will no doubt jump it off their front yard wall and the thing will fold up, causing major injury to the idiot.

They tried their hand at MotoX bikes about 10 or so years ago.

A 500cc thing with the inlets at the front of a 4 valve cylinder.
The front wheel was cable driven which made it a two wheel drive motorbike.

niggle

"very unique and innovative." Arrgghh, it is either unique or it is not unqiue, you cannot say 'very unique', and turns out it is not anyway. As for the design it is inherently wrong, triangulation is the key to a strong, light bicycle frame, whereas to make it strong enough the Cannondale must have very thick and heavy materials in that chainstay/chaincase affair.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Where do you put your pannier bags:biggrin:

Somehow it just looks wrong ... I keep expecting another bike to appear beside it and a caption line ... spot the difference.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's the one stay on the fork that puts me off.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I would have thought the the remaining frame components would have had to be over engineered to retain the strength the missing bits contribute. Therefore it would be heavier than a bike with the correct geometry.

tyred

Legendary Member
guitarpete247 said:
I would have thought the the remaining frame components would have had to be over engineered to retain the strength the missing bits contribute. Therefore it would be heavier than a bike with the correct geometry.

That's my thinking as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This was in a mag a couple months ago,

Since the chain is enclosed as this is used for structure, if you drop the chain (or simply need access to the chain) access requires tools no?

IMO its a pointless feat of engineering, but some people will go for it as some sort of concept machine, it looks kind of cool but I would ride one!

Top Bottom