The benefits of giving up booze.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I regularly have months off, like you l can't cut back, it's all or nothing. When off l feel all the benefits you mentioned in your first post, but l never have as good a time...l don't know anybody who doesn't drink.

I lot us are like this, it becomes a habit, I find it very difficult to cut down but bizarrely I can stop for a month. I do think that I would benefit from stopping all together, however we’re a boozy sociable family so it does make it difficult.

For me, 6th June 2011 was the last day of wine at weekends, and beer occasionally. I’m healthier I think, in every way, and maybe less poor.
I love walking past the alcohol sections in the shops, but we also stopped meat/fish, and most weeks, dairy, so I am a svelte but old looking 54 yr old 😀
I don’t sleep in tents, nor do I drink my own pi$h, so I’m not totally off the wall 🤣

Last edited:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Having quit for long periods of time before I’ve now reached the point I just have zero interest in booze. I have no idea how long it has bend since I drank. Probably weeks more than months.

I’m fed up of a lifetime of IBS and a dietician suggested I quit drinking to see if it helped. It has. So this is an easy decision!

Quittin’ has also enabled me to start getting up a 4.30am every day. I’m getting so much more done!

keithmac

Guru
Having quit for long periods of time before I’ve now reached the point I just have zero interest in booze. I have no idea how long it has bend since I drank. Probably weeks more than months.

I’m fed up of a lifetime of IBS and a dietician suggested I quit drinking to see if it helped. It has. So this is an easy decision!

Quittin’ has also enabled me to start getting up a 4.30am every day. I’m getting so much more done!

My mate has given up for the same reason, he's also allergic to onions which was a new one on me.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've just had a look at this and my original post was from last year. This year though, this year...whoa, it's been considerably different. No races, no gatherings, no real reason to be the svelt young lothario I was this time last year. Having found no cause to give up the booze, I have more....embraced the golden nectar. I reckon I weigh at least two kilos more than I did last September and since April, I haven't gone more than one week without the Don Revie. One more reason to hate this bloody virus thing!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have never been into drinking, even when I was younger and can't understand the binge drinking culture in the UK. Same with smoking, I have never smoked and never had the desire to do so. A bit of a boring person really . I don't even drink a pint of cider a week and a glass of wine occasionally. When somebody buys me a bottle a wine, it goes in the cellar and only comes out when we have visitors to eat.
I am quite happy with orange squash or such likes, even plain old fashion water.

keithmac

Guru
I've just had a look at this and my original post was from last year. This year though, this year...whoa, it's been considerably different. No races, no gatherings, no real reason to be the svelt young lothario I was this time last year. Having found no cause to give up the booze, I have more....embraced the golden nectar. I reckon I weigh at least two kilos more than I did last September and since April, I haven't gone more than one week without the Don Revie. One more reason to hate this bloody virus thing!

I did over 3 months tea total, then this bloody bug hit (we've worked through it but been some odd stuff going on at work), slipped back into the habit.

Back on the wagon again now though, first couple of weeks are the worst.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have never been into drinking, even when I was younger and can't understand the binge drinking culture in the UK. Same with smoking, I have never smoked and never had the desire to do so. A bit of a boring person really . I don't even drink a pint of cider a week and a glass of wine occasionally. When somebody buys me a bottle a wine, it goes in the cellar and only comes out when we have visitors to eat.
I am quite happy with orange squash or such likes, even plain old fashion water.
Do the police know you practice cannibalism?

Milzy

Guru
Just one blow out every now and again just destroys your fitness. Sleep diminished and no energy. It’s ok if you can have one or two then just stop, seem to function ok drinking as long as you’ve no hangover.

Top Bottom