The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Too many big name bands to remember but the one's who I've enjoyed most have been local pub bands such as

The Four Horsemen & The Old Grey Bristle Test, also a duo from Accrington who's name escapes me, but they did a song called, Stuck Down In Pounland with 99p, if anybody remembers them.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I was on the Ents committee at uni, and we were spoilt for live music in Sheffield. Most memorable were the QTips, Roman Holiday, Madness, Theatre of Hate. Revillos, and believe it or not the most entertaining of them all was
Glitter.

Gary Glitter's shows were great. His subsequently revealed abhorrent behaviour with minors does not distract from the immense enjoyment of the gigs that I attended.

Venod

Eh up
Martin Stephenson without the Daintees but with a saxophone player for accompaniment, in a pub in Fort William, must have been about 1995 as Alan Hull had just died and he did some of his songs as a tribute.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Gary Glitter's shows were great. His subsequently revealed abhorrent behaviour with minors does not distract from the immense enjoyment of the gigs that I attended.
I saw him three times. On one occasion he collapsed halfway through the act, and went off stage poorly. The Glitter band stepped up to the plate and did another 40 or 50 minutes of instrumental stuff..... they were truly awesome.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Holmfirth Picture Drome do a lot of gigs for bands that you thought were history, but come back round to suprise you, the Damned and The Stranglers being two that spring to mind. However, it's a cosy little venue, and last time I was there we were watching an AC DC tribute band called Livewire. The best value for money entertaining night out I can remember in a long time. The place was rammed to the rafters with 40-50 year old balding men with black t shirts, 501s and beerguts. And they sell Taylors Landlord. :becool:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Holmfirth Picture Drome do a lot of gigs for bands that you thought were history, but come back round to suprise you, . And they sell Taylors Landlord. :becool:

Love the place!

The last gig I attended there was Roy Wood's.

I've got a few pencilled in from September onwards.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm, I think I saw almost nothing I'm into the first time around, I'm a bit slow. The only gigs I remember as standout when the bands were current was Hole/Gallon Drunk/something else at Leeds Duchess of York sometime in the early 90s and Nirvana at Reading in 89(?). Otherwise, reunions etc:

Pentangle - Royal Festival Hall, London, mid-2000s
Mudhoney (play Superfuzzbigmuff etc) - Scala, London, mid-2000s
The Cramps, Black Cat, Washington DC, early 2000s.

Other mention goes to the Punk Rock Karaoke band (live band playing punk and alternative stuff that invites people on stage to belt out whatever). I saw them once in London and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Lot of repressed punk rockers, there one chance to let it all out...

AndyRM

XOXO
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Iron Maiden
Test Icicles
Death from Above 1979
Oi Polloi
Cake
Tyrannosaurus Alan
Nine Inch Nails
Monkey: Journey to the West (not really a band, but it was Damon Alburn's first 'opera', and it was incredible)
Mastodon
Orbital

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Jimi Hendrix. 1960 something at Albert Hall.

Chico Freeman Quartet at Ronnie Scots - mid 80's

Wilko Johnson at the Roundhouse 1978. He was fantastic as Motorhead (I cant remeber who was supporting who there) were rubbish at the same gig.

U

User169

[QUOTE 2398704, member: 259"]I never got to see Pentangle live and I was a big Bert Jansch fan :sad:

I saw the Cramps at the Melkweg in Amsterdam in the late eighties - it was a totally mad gig![/quote]

There's some excellent footage from an Amsterdam gig on youtube. Lux appears to be wearing his wife's undies^_^

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5PWflZ7y0

postman

Legendary Member
My girls went to Manchester on saturday night to see Def Havana,i think thats how it is spelt.My eldest took her super all action camera.Her first attenpt ar proper photography,Results are amazing.

Top Bottom