The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Maze was the smallest venue at the University, where I worked. It held about fifty people, and was the bar when the Lower Refectory (1250) was being used.
ahhh, then yeah, I've been in it a fair few times

It'd have to be The Stray Cats
Setzers guitar playing is just superb

Or; Steve Earle & The Dukes at the Leeds Irish Centre back in about 1988, when they were promoting the 'Exit 0' (zero) album
They were on stage for almost 4 hours (with no support band)

Saw him a while ago again, at Leeds Grand Theatre when he was touring for the 'Townes' CD - another great gig!!!

Dixie Chicks at Manchester Apollo (2003??) on the 'Top of The World' tour

slowwww

Veteran
I've done all the stadium gigs and festivals but now much prefer small standing venues where it's up close and personal

Particular highlights would be INXS on their first UK tour in early 1980s at Guildford Civic Hall. Hutchence's persona on stage before he became over accustomed to hero-worship was mesmerising and feral!

Nine Below Zero - always a great live band in small venues, but their concert in 2010 at The 100 Club (which at the time was expecting to close shortly after) when they did their 'Marquee' set was outstanding. 4 ridiculously talented musicians in total harmony. 'Tight' doesn't even begin to describe it

1. Stray Cats @ Leeds University (mid 80's??)
Setzers guitar playing still blowsme away everytime I hear it

2. Steve Earle & The Dukes @ Leeds Irish Centre (1988)
They were promoting the 'Exit 0' (zero) LP, on stage for the best part of 4 hours

3. Steve Earle @ Leeds Grand Theatre (2010?)
Promoting the 'Townes' CD

4. Dixie Chicks @ Manchester Apollo (2003)
On world tour for the 'Home' CD (dilemma, did I listen to the music, or drool over Emily & Martie?)

Gillian Welch
Alison Krauss & Union Station '
Woudl love to see them

We saw Kate Rusby a while ago, when she played in Wakefield Cathedral - magical!!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We saw Kate Rusby a while ago, when she played in Wakefield Cathedral - magical!!!!
The last Gillian Welch gig I went to was at The Dome in Brighton. It was like being in Church for a Solemn High Mass, the atmosphere was horribly reverential. I do hope the same doesn't happen in November with The Civil Wars.

just remembered another - a friend and I were schlepping around the low countries checking out football, beer and aiming to see some of our friends' band play in Amsterdam and Roubaix.

We're in Rotterdam, walking around and stumble across a bar advertising a music night so we go along later and Broadcast were playing it and they blew the place apart completely (our friends were on the same bill as them in Amsterdam a couple of days later), the drummer they had in was new I think and was absolutely hammering it - so so good.

RoyPSB

Über Member
Killing Joke - Lyceum 80/81
Bunnymen - Hammersmith 84
The Jam - Brighton 82
Pet Shop Boys - too many to mention (some great gigs, visually brilliant and very theatrical)

Worst - Lady GaGa last night at Twickenham! I told my Missus what Stadium gigs were like but she wouldn't listen. We left after 55 minutes. She was a speck in the distance and the sound was atrocious. Surrounded by people pretending to be 'really in to it'. A complete waste of time and money.

Top Bottom