The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like a religious experience. When the glitterball came on it was magical.

I love that review you linked, Sounds like it was not to be missed. :smile:

btw, if you were in Sheffield around that time I'd be surprised if you didn't know my old friend who went the poly given your musical leanings.
entirely possible, I spent a hell of a lot of time at the Leadmill and the Hallamshire. Moved to college in Bournemouth in 91 though, bloody musical desert.

Desperately searching for any video of that xmas gig now...

U

User169

Killing Joke

fIREHOSE
The Pixies

fIREHOSE - envious - that's definitely a band i'd loved to have seen. They reformed for a few gigs earlier this year, but only in the US. Saw the Pixies in '89 - they were on blinding form, but the evening was marred by temperamental girlfriend behaviour.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
fIREHOSE - envious - that's definitely a band i'd loved to have seen. They reformed for a few gigs earlier this year, but only in the US. Saw the Pixies in '89 - they were on blinding form, but the evening was marred by temperamental girlfriend behaviour.

My friend 'warned' me how good fIREHOSE were live,

I could not help grinning ^_^:hyper::wahhey: like a joyous one all the way back to my friends flat (think it was the' sir george robey' in london, 80's or 90's, supported by the wonderful ozzie chaps the 'hard-ons'!

enjoy...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Flaming Lips at Jodrell Bank... not the best band in the world... but they put on a great live show, coupled with the Lovel Telescope as a projector screen... unbeatable.

Basil.B

Guru
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Elephant Fayre 82
Rush - 81
Pink Floyd - 81?
The Cramps - Hammersmith Palais 82?
The Birthday Party - Camden 82
Just a few, seen so many in the 80's

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The all time awe and wonder experience must be Led Zep at Knebworth with the alleged 170,000+ audience. 1979

Trippy visuals - Flaming Lips, Harewood House supporting the Who 2006

For a guaranteed jolly head banging time - Peatbog Faeries at every venue where I've seen them 2007-present

Bhundu Boys, Gateshead Kite Festival. No, really! And this wasn't one I was working. I'd just gone along to the Festival expecting to see and fly kites, but, as I approached, I heard this beautiful joyous sound. I recognised the band, but thought it was just being played over the PA. I got closer and found that, unlikely though it was, they really were playing live, and did a storming set of about two hours.

Another great show was Slade in about 1981, when they had a brief burst of renewed success. Bostin. And the loudest gig to date in Derby (Motorhead had played the week before).

where was Maze? must have been just before I was allowed to go to Sheffield for gigs (was brought up in Chesterfield - where I saw Pulp play upstairs in the co-op!). I saw them loads on Sheffield and abouts, but the Glastonbury thing was just incredible, there was *our* band, playing Common People (*our* song) and a hundred thousand people were singing along.

The Maze was the smallest venue at the University, where I worked. It held about fifty people, and was the bar when the Lower Refectory (1250) was being used.

Reading through, it seems that a lot of people have seen great gigs by bands I would love to have seen love, not least The Clash.

Thinking back, the most charismatic and powerful stage performance was by a man so crippled with stagefright that he had to be supported as he climbed the backstage.steps. But, once he was in front of an audience, he had complete control like no one else I have ever seen. Three years running, we hosted the excellently produced Christmas shows for this artist, and every one was slick and ingenious, with great music played really well by top musicians. He's been a bit written out of his prominent place in our pop history now, and probably rightly so, but, unfashionable though it might be to admit, we enjoyed those Gary Glitter concerts.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Queen 1986 (ish)
I used to love going to see Thunder. Saw them a few times at the UEA LCR
Squeeze were always good to see too.
Pink Floyd's live show was amazing.

I saw Gary Glitter several times at the UEA, generally at Christmas time and he was just amazing. A real showman. Thanks for reminding me clarion.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, another big thumbs up for a Gary Glitter christmas gangshow.... a great gig and a great atmosphere.

Also some one said Slade. 1982 at Hammy Odean. also Christmas show. Boy was that rocking. Supported by a brilliant Aussie band called Cold Chisel.

Brains

Legendary Member
I also worked in "the biz" for a number of years so saw hundreds of shows, the ones that stand out were;

Bob Dylan and Joan Armatrading at Blackbush
Ian Dury at Hammy Odean
Thin Lizzy at Lewisham Odean
Dr and the Medics with Motörhead with Roy Wood supported by the Cult at Heaven under Charing cross station
The Dammed at the Appollo
George Throughgood at the Electric Ballroom
Dr and the medics at Carlisle 1984
Osric Tenticles in Deptford crypt
The Boys Wonder at Bath Moles

And many many more ..

Top Bottom