The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
The Who hands down. Best sound, and despite one previous ludicrous comment the best songs. This was with no Entwistle or Moon as I was too young when they were around to see them, so god knows how much better they would have been with them two. Ocean Colour Scene are decent if you get them in the right mood.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
the who on their quadrophenia tour - brilliant !
jethro tull in late 80s
genesis
i think you dont just go to listen to a good band - you go to watch and be blown away by good stage shows
wish i had seen queen in the height and pink floyd - had tickets to see them mid 80s but went on surprise holiday so tickets were given away at last minute to my sister who says it was best gig shes ever been to :sad:

Having worked in 'the biz', I saw a lot of shows. Oddly, it has tended to ne the smaller, more intimate ones which have made the biggest impact on me.

Enzymes, Maze, Sheffield, c.1985. Slogan: Boogie till your brains burst. Like the Talking Heads but more so.

Pulp, again Maze, just after Jarvis' return, when they were still a local band. At first, I thought he was a low-rent Morrrissey, but soon realised he was a genius.

Tbc...

Doseone

Guru
I used to go to loads, and enjoyed them all. Some of the stand out ones:

Twelfth Night at the Marquee Club
Rainbow at The Rainbow
Thin Lizzy at Reading, which I think was Phil Lynott's last UK gig:sad:
Van Halen at Donnington, they blew AC/DC who were the headline act off the stage
Motorhead at Hammy Odeon
Floyd at Wembley Stadium
Genesis - loads of times
Maiden - Loads of times, from Bracknell Leisure centre to Reading Festival
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance Tour

I'll think of others I'm sure^_^

While at York Arts Centre, I worked with some amazing artists, including what I think I would list as my top three. In reverse order:

The Shuffle Demons. Great music to dance to, but it was a total experience, and the band led the audience outside onto the street at one point.

The Jolly Boys. Four really old guys who knew how to make the joint jump.

Boubacar Traore. A wonderful, warm-hearted and humble man, but with a mesmerically unique and moving style. For a man who had been lost to the industry for years and presumed dead, his performance was full of life and heart and soul.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I find questions like this really hard, as (for me) it's difficult to divorce the question from 'gigs you've enjoyed the most'... with that in mind, two spring to mind, both in Finsbury Park... Madstock, 1992 was a cracking day for me, great gig, and feeling really good about the world. Also the Fleadh of 1996 (apart from Sting, who can get lost)... again, great gig, shared it with great people.

Cheddar George

oober member
Many I could pick, but a few nights of many:

Nirvana, Reading '92. Anyone who says it wasn't that good either wasn't there or can't remember. I was, I can, and it was brilliant.
At the time i just thought that they were much better than i was expecting them to be. Over the years it has gained the reputation of being one of the best gigs of all time.

I find questions like this really hard, as (for me) it's difficult to divorce the question from 'gigs you've enjoyed the most'... with that in mind, two spring to mind, both in Finsbury Park... Madstock, 1992 was a cracking day for me, great gig, and feeling really good about the world. Also the Fleadh of 1996 (apart from Sting, who can get lost)... again, great gig, shared it with great people.

Madstock......didn't the crowd noise register on the richter scale during "one step beyond" ?

Top Bottom