The best band you've seen live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Madstock......didn't the crowd noise register on the richter scale during "one step beyond" ?
4.5, I believe :becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Again a 'best gig' rather than 'best band'... In 1986, I went solo hitching round Ireland (nobody hitches, any more!!!). I chanced upon an event that was right up my street, which was the Galway Mod festival/scooter rally. Went to B&B, ate, washed, dressed up as much as my kit would allow me to, and headed out to the evening of gigs. I knew nobody there, but by the end of the evening I was
a) very drunk
b) the recipient of numerous offers of places to stay in Ireland
c) best friends with everybody there, or so it seemed.
d) really happy

One of the gigs was (quite a good gig from) the band with the worst name ever, "Too Much For The White Man", who played reggae-tinged rock, and one of whom I believe eventually became a Saw Doctor.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Muse at Lollapalooza, bloody epic, a huge crowd and a great show.
Also gotta rate Pendulum and Tiesto. Seem them live and again a great show.

Having worked in 'the biz', I saw a lot of shows. Oddly, it has tended to ne the smaller, more intimate ones which have made the biggest impact on me.

Enzymes, Maze, Sheffield, c.1985. Slogan: Boogie till your brains burst. Like the Talking Heads but more so.

Pulp, again Maze, just after Jarvis' return, when they were still a local band. At first, I thought he was a low-rent Morrrissey, but soon realised he was a genius.

Tbc...
where was Maze? must have been just before I was allowed to go to Sheffield for gigs (was brought up in Chesterfield - where I saw Pulp play upstairs in the co-op!). I saw them loads on Sheffield and abouts, but the Glastonbury thing was just incredible, there was *our* band, playing Common People (*our* song) and a hundred thousand people were singing along.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ah yes, I forgot Bellowhead. Aslo Chick Corea. And back around 1969 there was a concert composed and directed by Karlheinz Stockhausen.

RedRider

Pulling through
Best gig I've seen....Arthur Lee with Shack as his backing band at the 051 in Liverpool, probably 88.

My Bloody Valentine at the Boardwalk Manchester around 1988, Pulp in Sheffield when, as someone said above they were a still a local band cos you knew he was a star, my mate had gone Sheffield Poly and implored me to come and check out this band with a man who wore dead men's shoes from charity shops. Saw them just a few months later in a converted church in Glasgow being filmed for BBC Scotland or someone.
American Music Club. Sonic Youth at the Royal Court, as so often in those days I was right at the front and Lee Renaldo cock-rocked his guitar over my head. I saw Spaceman 3 at the Melkweg. Only joking, it was somewhere not very glamourous that I don't really remember. I'm thinking the Boardwalk. Spiritualized also, possibly King Tut's in Glasgow. Very good light shows!
The Orb did an all nighter at the Barrowlands that was fun. Dodgy, cos me and a mate booked them. House of Love at a Glasgow venue I don't remember, loadsa Glasgow bands, special shout out to the Vaselines for being sexy and shite at the same time.
Mylo at the Benacassim festival a few years ago. The entire gig consisted of one song which I refer to as the m*****f***** song.
The band that really kicked things off for me but I didn't see em live til late 80s somewhere in Glasgow... Jesus and Mary Chain. Primal Scream at the tiny Planet X when they were still a MC5/Big Star tribute band. Primal Scream before then when they were a Byrds tribute band. Better when they toured Screamadelica tho. High times indeed. Icicle Works at the Liverpool Royal Court, my first ever proper gig probably 85/86. Loadsa people mentioned HMHB... Prob me fave gig of theirs was maybe five or six years ago...a non-cynical Christmas extravaganza at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Bands I kick meself for not going to see when I really should've done but was a bit young and shy...The Smiths and The Las.

Loadsa people mentioned HMHB... Prob me fave gig of theirs was maybe five or six years ago...a non-cynical Christmas extravaganza at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Bands I kick meself for not going to see when I really should've done but was a bit young and shy...The Smiths and The Las.
That Apollo gig was a bloody corker wasn't it? Possibly my favourite of theirs.

I saw the Las.......it wasn't great, but I did hear that they only did decent gigs in Liverpool...

edit:
was looking to find out when Las gig was - it was this one:
http://www.the-las.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4325

The Clash on various occasions, among them gigs at the Electric Ballroom in the late 70s.

Then (my, how we age) David Byrne at Eastnor a few years ago doing a lot of TH stuff and some of the collaborative barminess he'd recorded with Brian Eno (or should I say Hinault on these pages?).

Also... In several London pubs over the decades... There is no-one who can match John Otway live. No-one.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Killing Joke
Southern Death Cult
The Damned
Big Black
Husker Du
Nirvana /Tad
fIREHOSE
The Pixies
Leatherface
REM
could go on & on...

RedRider

Pulling through
That Apollo gig was a bloody corker wasn't it? Possibly my favourite of theirs.
Like a religious experience. When the glitterball came on it was magical.

I saw the Las.......it wasn't great, but I did hear that they only did decent gigs in Liverpool...

I love that review you linked, Sounds like it was not to be missed. :smile:

btw, if you were in Sheffield around that time I'd be surprised if you didn't know my old friend who went the poly given your musical leanings.

Top Bottom