The best footballer ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
John Charles...that takes me back. I never saw him play but as a little boy, my dad took me to see my team away at Leeds and afterwards, he took me to a pub in Morley. Mine Host? The 'great' (I am assured by my father who says this still) John Charles. An absolute legend and very, very popular with the locals.

pedro__

Regular
Jimmy Johnstone, lord of the wing! One of the greatest.

However I don't ever think I've witnessed a player as good as maradona. Quite simply a genius.

Melvil

It's so hard (and possibly futile) to say who is the best ever, but I can say who i've loved to watch play more than anyone else and that is Denis Bergkamp closely followed by Zinedine Zidane. Both wonderful and incredibly unpredictable players who could produce a moment of magic just when you least expected it.

ZIZAG

Veteran
Anyone of these would be my choice . :rolleyes:

Ryan Giggs. Eric Cantona . George Best . Bobby Charlton . Denis Law. :ohmy:

Iv'e seen them all In their heyday . ;)

All world Class.

postman

Legendary Member
This country they say Duncan Edwards.But i have heard mainly from my late dad .A young man who's footballing life was stopped by a broken leg .A Matt Busby 'Babe' to come .Alick Jeffrey .Someone special who never got his chance .Broke his leg playing for England u21's .

The utter parochialism of some of the posts on here beggars belief. Yes, the UK has produced some good footballs, a number of whom never had the chance to show themselves fully on the world stage, e.g John Charles and Jimmy Johnstone. However for all round greatness , you have to look at a hand full of players headed by Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Best.

In my opinion Pele stands head and shoulders above them all. He lasted longer, scored more goals, but more importantly could have been great in any position.

edwardd67

The utter parochialism of some of the posts on here beggars belief. Yes, the UK has produced some good footballs, a number of whom never had the chance to show themselves fully on the world stage, e.g John Charles and Jimmy Johnstone. However for all round greatness , you have to look at a hand full of players headed by Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Best.

In my opinion Pele stands head and shoulders above them all. He lasted longer, scored more goals, but more importantly could have been great in any position.

Sometimes we as Brits don't cherish what we have.

Do you know enough about Jimmy Johnstone to cast an opinion?
1967 Celtic beat Real Madrid in Madrid 1-0 in Alfred Di Stefano's Testimonial.
Jimmy johnstone stole the show.
Google it

Unfortunately, I a ma old enough and have seen enough to offer an opinion on Jimmy Johnstone.Undoubtedly talented, but very erratic and not in any way an all rounder.

Not even that great in Scotland in my opinion.

mangaman

Sometimes we as Brits don't cherish what we have.

Do you know enough about Jimmy Johnstone to cast an opinion?
1967 Celtic beat Real Madrid in Madrid 1-0 in Alfred Di Stefano's Testimonial.
Jimmy johnstone stole the show.
Google it

Actually, as best team, the "Lisbon Lions" Celtic team of '67 - the first British club to win the European Cup - and all born within 30 miles of Glasgow has to be the best.

I've always had a niggling doubt about Pele. Sure he was an all time great...but the best? He looked awesome in 1970, but then he had awesome teammates (for me the best ever team, in the best ever World Cup) But there was something, just that little something, about George Best.

Bill

Top Bottom