the best gig you ever went to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
June 30, 1990 - Knebworth Park: The Silver Clef Award Winners Concert

Spent so long looking in one direction that the left half of my face got sunburn, the right was still white.

Lineup included Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ray Cooper, Robert Plant (with guest Jimmy Page), Status Quo and Phil Collins with Genesis.

Pink Floyd closed it off as the night drew as it started to drizzle. The lasers were incredible as they cut through the rain and drew patterns on the clouds behind.

jay clock said:
Queen - last ever gig, at Knebworth, with St Freddie on top form

I was there as well. Fantastic gig but spoilt by the stabbing and the resulting 6 hours needing to get out of the car park as the police took a note of all registrations.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Communards and the Human League at the Manchester Apollo,Dido before she became really famouse at the Manchester Accadamy..pity the fecking students kept shouting sing Enama or what ever he is called LOL. All good live groups.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Cure Shockwaves NME Big Gig at the O2 in 2009 (or, tbh, pretty much any Cure gig I've been to over the last 30 years.)

bauldbairn

GregCollins said:
The Cure Shockwaves NME Big Gig at the O2 in 2009 (or, tbh, pretty much any Cure gig I've been to over the last 30 years.)

:wacko: - :sun: Strangely I'm a fan and have always regretted never seeing them in concert in their hayday. Never knew any other fans to drag along. Saw the Live in Orange video years ago(was that really 1986 - just Googled it) and they looked amazing.;)

Danny

Legendary Member
There were some great concerts at Leeds University when Andy Kershaw was Ents Officer. The one that stands out in my memory was Bob Marley in 1978 where you could get close enough to the stage to touch him if you wanted.

Another gig I remember most fondly from that period was X-ray Spex performing in a tiny club in Harrogate around 1977. Pure raw punk.

TVC

Recently - Blur in Hyde Park, great atmosphere and a real 'event'.

Ever - Roger Waters at the NEC, performed the whole of Dark Side of the Moon.

and - The Pogues at Leicester Poly, several times in the '80s, I don't need to explain why.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
sade concert front row at nec cant remember when but must have been aprox 1986

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pixies at the Crystal Palace Bowl, sometime in the early nineties, because they were just awesome.
dEUS at the Jericho Tavern around the same time - no-one really knew who they were but they just blew everyone away.
Arthur Lee and Love in Newcastle just before he died.
My mates, The Egg, at Glastonbury very late night on some weird stage in about 1994 or 1995. An amazing live experience.
Shonen Knife in Shibuya in 2007. 3 Japanese women in co-ordinated pastel catsuits playing very funny Ramones-influenced power-pop. What's not to love?
Toumani Diabate in Newcastle - not because of the audience who were dead as dead can be, but because he is quite simply one of the greatest living masters of any instrument (in his case, the kora) and such a sparkly wonderful human being.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
pale saints, sheffield leadmill 1990
shonen knife/nirvana, sheffield octagon 1992
the sugarcubes, manchester academy c1993
ratm/levellers (one following the other), glastonbury 1994
oasis, heaton park, manchester 2009

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
pale saints, sheffield leadmill 1990

My girlfriend of the time went to see them with the Pixies, a day or two after the gig I mentioned. I think that may be the gig I most regret missing!

potsy

Rambler
Only been to 2 concerts-
Madonna at Wembley about 94.Main thing I remember was the ripping off southerners charging £6 to park the car:angry:
Bon Jovi at Maine Road 96 or 97,enjoyed it but was more impressed with the back up band-Skunk Anansie,quality stuff.

Top Bottom