The best musical instrument ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

goo_mason said:
For sheer weirdness and the massive contribution that it has made to sci-fi films and TV shows over the years, I'd plump for the Theremin.
Theremin, sounds like an Anabolic Steroid? ;)

There's quite a lot of Theremin stuff on Youtube like this

I was hoping someone had done the closing theme on the original Star Trek :ohmy: ahhhhh ahhh ahh ahh ahh ahh ahhhhhhh.

jacob

The clarinet is my insrument of choice.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I went to a sort of Theremin symposium thing a couple of weeks ago. Dead good it was (oddly enough there was a rendition of the old Star Trek theme)

I go for piano. There's an abundance of great music written for it, it stands up alone, it's a great accompaniment to voice, and a badly-played piano doesn't stink as much as most other badly-played instruments.

Although it's difficult to get one to a gig using only a bicycle.

Mr Phoebus

palinurus said:
I went to a sort of Theremin symposium thing a couple of weeks ago. Dead good it was (oddly enough there was a rendition of the old Star Trek theme)
I just knew it had to be out there. ;)

longers

Legendary Member
Has anyone seen or heard an "instrument" made by an American University which uses drainpipes to convey ping pong balls and bounces them off Windchime time pipes and collects them again? If it's not a hoax it's pretty incredible. If I knew where to look I'd post the footage i've seen of it.

bobg

Über Member
Dayvo said:
There's so many, but I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the BANJO! ;)
I've got one but can't play it for love nor money (yet). :ohmy:

I'm with Dayvo and the banjo. It's the only instrument that blocks out tinnitus, and if you don't have tinnitus it'll give it to you , along with a bad back, they're sooo heavy - still love it though. Something you'll never hear " I'm the banjo players girlfriend"...:ohmy:

col

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
Nothing beats the bagpipes for stirring the blood.

I can vouch for that,when i was a school kid i went to the gorden boys school in west end near woking.I played in the pipe band,we were taught by a pipe sargeant from the irish guards,the drummers were something special too,when they did their solo bit by standing in line and tapping drum sticks with each other while drumming,very impressive:smile:

Big Bren said:
Guitar, specifically an electric one, played very loudly by someone who means it - Hendrix, Frusciante, Marr et al, as opposed to someone who is just showing off - Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and other such wanketeers.

Bren

In total agreement with you Bren, though I do have a yearning for the tenor Saxophone.

Dayvo said:
There's so many, but I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the BANJO! ;)
I've got one but can't play it for love nor money (yet). :ohmy:

Did you get my email about Hotel California, Dayvo? (Ages ago.)

My favourites would be:

5 String Banjo
Electric guitar a la Joey Santiago, Jon Spencer or Angus Young
Acoustic guitar a la Ian Anderson or Nick Drake
Mandolin

All of which I can play

and

Piano
Violin
Theremin

Which I can't.

[quote name='bobg;36242][quote name='Dayvo']There's so many' date=' but I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the [COLOR=red']BANJO![/COLOR] ;)
I've got one but can't play it for love nor money (yet). :ohmy:[/quote]

I'm with Dayvo and the banjo. It's the only instrument that blocks out tinnitus, and if you don't have tinnitus it'll give it to you , along with a bad back, they're sooo heavy - still love it though. Something you'll never hear " I'm the banjo players girlfriend"...:ohmy:[/QUOTE]

Or "can someone move the banjo player's Ferrari?":biggrin:

Apparently the definition of a gentleman is "someone who can play the banjo, but doesn't."

Top Bottom