The best p*ncture resistant tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Shippers...are you riding in the gutter? There is a LOT of debris near the kerb. If you ride where the left wheel of cars normally track, you will encounter less debris. Cars keep it "swept" to the side of the road.

shippers

I've had them a couple of times where I've been cycling outside another cyclist! Part of the problem might be cycling through drunken student areas on dark mornings. A fair share have been pinch punctures from not being able to inflate beyond about 65psi when I'm out.

Now I've been out for a ride without deflation I'm supremely confident that I'll never have to stop and swear again!

Old timer

Über Member
MacB said:
M+ here as well, zero punctures so far on two bikes, not had the severe fitting problems others have either. Though I did make the mistake of using levers and getting a pinch puncture while fitting. They are heavy though, my 700x35's weigh nearkly 1kg each. If you want the best of all worlds, in the larger section tyres, then the Marathon Supreme seem to be well thought of.

Mac

I`ve got two coming. It worries me all the "hard to fit" I always use levers. What should I do, soapy water??
Dave

potsy

Rambler
Old timer said:
Mac

I`ve got two coming. It worries me all the "hard to fit" I always use levers. What should I do, soapy water??
Dave
I heard somewhere the wider the tyre the easier to fit,mine are 28mm's so are fairly problematic especially when new.
A lot of it is technique though,bit of talc will help as will lots of swearing;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Old timer said:
Mac

Dave

Right, I've just been through this with some new wheels and a heck of a job fitting the M+'s to them, so my take:-

1. little bit of moisture, soapy water can help, some claim the salt in washing up liquid is too corrosive. But I'd say just don't give it a bath and you'll be fine, but try without first.

2. I always followed the method of fitting at the valve first and finishing opposite. Following suggestions from others I refitted, as a test, finishing at the valve and was much easier. The thing is that the M+ is a very rigid tyre and springs into shape inside the wheel rim as you go round. When you get to the last bit you need all the slack to get it over the rim, without levers. To get this you need the rest of the tyre rim pinched together and sitting down at the bottom of the well rather than near the top. This is where people suggest cable ties, or straps, compressing the already fitted section down into the bottom of the well.

I found with the new method I didn't need to use lubricant, straps or levers to get on. I still need a lever to remove though. If you do need to use levers I've found that the Crank Brothers Speed lever is best for getting tyres off, there's is a knack but it's not hard to pick up:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Speed_Lever/5360019204/

and for getting stubborn tyres on then the VAR lever, I found I could still use the fitting at the valve method with this lever:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=903&src=froogle

I've bought both in the last week due to my concerns about tyre removal/installation and avoidance of pinch punctures. Being me I've practiced as I don't want to get stuck when I'm out and about. I fitted and removed M+ tyres 20+ times over the weekend, on two different rim types:ohmy: Hence my rapid conclusions on the new levers above:blush:

Good enough that I've order two more of each lever so that I can kit out the tool bottles I have on the bikes as well as the garage.

Goldfang

Have never had a puncture since switching to M+ 700 c's Thats probably asking for trouble!! Have never experienced the problems with fitting that people mention here. My route to work takes me through the town centre, usually inches deep in broken glass from the night before, and industrial estates with an exotic mixture of objects under wheel. I recently rode over a piece of carpet gripper that travelled with me for half a circumference but the M+ was up to the job.

potsy

Rambler
Goldfang said:
Have never had a puncture since switching to M+ 700 c's Thats probably asking for trouble!! Have never experienced the problems with fitting that people mention here. My route to work takes me through the town centre, usually inches deep in broken glass from the night before, and industrial estates with an exotic mixture of objects under wheel. I recently rode over a piece of carpet gripper that travelled with me for half a circumference but the M+ was up to the job.
It's hard to argue with that goldfang,can't see me using anything but these now on the hybrid.Thought about trying some Marathon supreme/extreme? forget which now,but if it aint broke and all that..

shippers

Well, another 26 miles today; that's nearly 80 miles with the same set of air molecules under my big fat bottom. I'm ridiculously optomistic about the lack of deflation!

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
Well, another 26 miles today; that's nearly 80 miles with the same set of air molecules under my big fat bottom. I'm ridiculously optomistic about the lack of deflation!
Nice one shippers,knew we'd sort you out eventually;)
How are you finding them now the problems seem to have gone?

shippers

Not that great in the corners, esp when it's wet. But I like the way they don't go squishy. Beyond that...
Seriously, they seem to be pretty good- not as quick as the Conti's I had before but as I'm only commuting and going for a potter about with a chap on a mountain bike it's not really an issue. I might bob them back on for a while when the weather picks up, see if the luck stays with me.

It probably also helps that I'm in daylight more!

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
Not that great in the corners, esp when it's wet. But I like the way they don't go squishy. Beyond that...
Seriously, they seem to be pretty good- not as quick as the Conti's I had before but as I'm only commuting and going for a potter about with a chap on a mountain bike it's not really an issue. I might bob them back on for a while when the weather picks up, see if the luck stays with me.

It probably also helps that I'm in daylight more!
Great to be coming home in the light now,saying that tonight the sun was low in the sky blinding me(mustn't moan).
I feel 99% certain on the M+ that nothing will stop them,if they ever do deflate I'll probably be in shock:ohmy:

Top Bottom