The best p*ncture resistant tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
Hi,

I'm on 700x23c. The bike came with Kenda 700x25c.
Should I opt for the slightly fatter tyres?

I got the bike for commuting, but as it's a 28 mile round trip it's just daft- the number of times I've had to run the last couple of miles as by tryes have gone flat, or I've come back to it to go home and they're not round anymore...
"Nnnnggggg" isn't a word, but it should be!
If there's nothing else wrong ie.rim tape,tiny flints or bits of glass still in the tyre,then I would either go for the M+ in 25mm or if you want something a lot lighter/quicker but still reasonably resistant then go for Conti 4seasons.Trouble is decent quality tyres are gonna set you back £50-£60,so make sure the tyres themselves are the problem and it'd not something as small as pinching,gutter riding etc.
Happy riding:smile:

shippers

I've been trying to stay out of the gutter more- I have an irritatingly puncture proof friend (on knobbly mtb tyres) who says that might be a problem. I've found a pair of the marathon plus's on ebay for £40 in 25mm.
I'm not too bothered about them being quicker- not having to stop to change them every 300 yards will save time!

Any thoughts on the slime tubes anyone? £8 each is a bit steep, and I heard that the higher pressure in a road bike tyre just forced the slime out through the smallest hole!?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
shippers said:
I've been trying to stay out of the gutter more- I have an irritatingly puncture proof friend (on knobbly mtb tyres) who says that might be a problem. I've found a pair of the marathon plus's on ebay for £40 in 25mm.
I'm not too bothered about them being quicker- not having to stop to change them every 300 yards will save time!

Any thoughts on the slime tubes anyone? £8 each is a bit steep, and I heard that the higher pressure in a road bike tyre just forced the slime out through the smallest hole!?

I was 18 stone when I started riding and had no issues with punctures, I run M+ at 35mm, just normal tubes. Have your rims and rim tape checked but, beyond that, you've got quite the highest rate of punctures of anyone I've heard of:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I just use Marathon (not the +'s, next one down from that), and only get a couple per year (whispers quietly - 2 last Jan), and after putting them on once or twice they aren't too bad (not easy). Mine have now done 4000 miles.

shippers

Macb, I'll take consolation in the achievement!

I'll do the rims, tape and tyres combo and see how we go. Then sell the bike and get a fatter tyred hybrid in summer!

D

Deleted member 1258

Happiness Stan said:
I second that, not the plushist, grippyest tyres but they don't puncture. Cheap too.

I have heard other people say they are not the grippiest but I have not yet had it misbehave. I have ridden through all the snow and ice we have had and its not given me any cause for concern. Its also easy on/of which is good. I plan to put them on my Dawes, but will use a skinnier one, 23's, I have 28's on the fixed.

Tynan

Veteran
there's a world of tyres at all different prices, it's about finding what suits you

M+ are famous for punc ressitant, also for being a bit heavy and slow and for being veryhard to change

Most modern tyres have at lease some level of kevlar belt or similair, I certainly wouln''t use anything without proctection of that sort

I use Schwalbe Luganos, you can get them for £10 if you shop around, light, quick, hard wearing and with kevlar belt

if you never get punctures you're clueless when you eventually do get one, you need to get one every couple of months to keep hand and equipment in good practice

Davidc

Guru
I've had good experience with the ordinary Marathons. Just fitted what are described as 'New Marathon' to my tourer on the basis of past experience. I've been running them for a long time and seem to average about 2 punctures a year. (700x32c and 26"x1 1/2")

I'm suspicious about shippers rate of punctures - I (like MacB) have never heard of anyone getting that many before. Do you always find the culprit sharp object? If not it could as suggested be something about the rim/ tape/tube/ spokes/ tyre combination.

potsy

Rambler
Tynan said:
there's a world of tyres at all different prices, it's about finding what suits you

M+ are famous for punc ressitant, also for being a bit heavy and slow and for being veryhard to change

Most modern tyres have at lease some level of kevlar belt or similair, I certainly wouln''t use anything without proctection of that sort

I use Schwalbe Luganos, you can get them for £10 if you shop around, light, quick, hard wearing and with kevlar belt

if you never get punctures you're clueless when you eventually do get one, you need to get one every couple of months to keep hand and equipment in good practice
Yes Ty they are but if you're heavy and slow anyway it won't make a massive difference will it;)
I'm giving the 4 seasons a go on the Secteur so far so good,light quick and p resistant.If they are not all I expect then may try some Schwalbe Durano+ race bike version of M+.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
potsy said:
Yes Ty they are but if you're heavy and slow anyway it won't make a massive difference will it;)
I'm giving the 4 seasons a go on the Secteur so far so good,light quick and p resistant.If they are not all I expect then may try some Schwalbe Durano+ race bike version of M+.

I intend to swap to Durano+ if their predecessor, the Stelvio+ ever wear out. 3 winters and still going and no punctures yet.

potsy

Rambler
rich p said:
I intend to swap to Durano+ if their predecessor, the Stelvio+ ever wear out. 3 winters and still going and no punctures yet.
They do look good rich,do you know if they are easier to fit than M+?
Am happy with the Conti's for now though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
potsy said:
They do look good rich,do you know if they are easier to fit than M+?
Am happy with the Conti's for now though.

No experience of M+, potsy, but I haven't had a problem with the Stelvios although I havent had to change them very often!
Aperitif bought M+ I think, so he may pop in and offer some experience.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I use Marathon Pluses on my tourer as I really don't want a puncture when on my hols.
For my commuter I use Bontrager Race Lite hard cases. These are lighter and last around 4000 miles before puncturing when invariably I decide it's time to replace.

Blue

Legendary Member
potsy said:

I'm on my second set of 4 seasons. No punctures with first set and had my first event today when our group ride encountered 4 areas of hedge cutting. I was feeling smug when two others got flats early on during the ride, but I then had my 'fall after my pride' when I got a flat on the 3rd patch of thorns. So, there you go, even kevlar can fail :biggrin:

Top Bottom