The best p*ncture resistant tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
of course it can, this whole topic is dodgy because everyone is riding different distances on difffrent roads in different styles and speeds and pressures etc etc

almost all my flats involve glass and pieces of scrap metal

BlueTowser

has anyone tried the Tufo tubeless clincher? Supposed to be more puncture resistant and lighter

shippers

I'm suspicious about shippers rate of punctures - I (like MacB) have never heard of anyone getting that many before. Do you always find the culprit sharp object? If not it could as suggested be something about the rim/ tape/tube/ spokes/ tyre combination.[/QUOTE]

Can't get that quote to stand out. Bums.

Sometimes I find it; hawthorn cutting season was fun just before I changed to the Kevlar tyres. Had there been an issue with the rim then surely the punctures would appear in similar places in the tube? I'm also increasingly anal about checking the inside of the tyre before it goes back on.

Anyway, the Marathon+ are on- and it was a struggle. 26 fully inflated miles and counting!
They do seem to be a little heavier and slower but right now I couldn't care less.

shippers

Hurrah! 39 miles, first puncture.
Back tyre, clean hole through centre of tyre. No sign of the spikey thing that done it. Going down an A road- Otley Road in Leeds if anyone knows it...

GrasB

Veteran
Okay I'm going by one commute but yes M+s are heavy but no evidence of being slow... time will tell however. The one thing I have noticed however is they're rather bouncy & not all that confident in the corners.

shippers

Pfffffffft!
Last night after managing another whole 25 miles, my new marathon plus's on the back got their second puncture. No better than the continental kevlar sports or the kenda whatever they were before!
Puncture was in a totally different part of the tube from the last one, on the outside- opposite the valve so unlikely to be something on the rim.

I agree about them not being too good in the corners though. They seem "squarer".

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
Pfffffffft!
Last night after managing another whole 25 miles, my new marathon plus's on the back got their second puncture. No better than the continental kevlar sports or the kenda whatever they were before!
Puncture was in a totally different part of the tube from the last one, on the outside- opposite the valve so unlikely to be something on the rim.

I agree about them not being too good in the corners though. They seem "squarer".
I'm amazed by your amount of punct*r*s shippers,where are you riding,Beiruit:ohmy:
Over 2200 miles on mine without 1,and I'm no lightweight either.Are you certain it's not a rim problem? What about pinch punctu*es?

shippers

I've had pinchies once in a while- usually when I'm out and can't reinflate to more that about 70psi with my little pump. They usually get the "snakebite" effect.
I'm thinking it must be a rim issue, I have new (plastic) rim tape in the back one. Thing is though, the 2 latest holes at least are on the outside edge, so unless the tubes twist round inside the tyre..?

New rims are going to cost a lot, I assume..?

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
I've had pinchies once in a while- usually when I'm out and can't reinflate to more that about 70psi with my little pump. They usually get the "snakebite" effect.
I'm thinking it must be a rim issue, I have new (plastic) rim tape in the back one. Thing is though, the 2 latest holes at least are on the outside edge, so unless the tubes twist round inside the tyre..?

New rims are going to cost a lot, I assume..?
I feel your pain shippers,when I first got my road bike had 4 p's in the 1st 100 or so miles really spoilt my enjoyment of it.Then I got rid of the stock tyres and put the Conti's on and have only had 1 since in about 600 miles.
With the M+ the centre tread is so thick I'm amazed anything can get through it,let alone twice in 60ish miles.

shippers

If it is the rims, it would explain the lack of debris found in the tubes. I'll keep plodding on with it; changing the tube at 7am when it's -2 isn't that appealling!

3600 miles in a year? Sounds a lot, but should be do-able. Even in Manchester!

potsy

Rambler
shippers said:
If it is the rims, it would explain the lack of debris found in the tubes. I'll keep plodding on with it; changing the tube at 7am when it's -2 isn't that appealling!

3600 miles in a year? Sounds a lot, but should be do-able. Even in Manchester!
Good luck with it mate.Near 20 a day commute soon eats up the miles plus hoping to do a few longer rides this year.Only did one last year 60 miler with the Cheshire CC'ers.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yep, I'm gobsmacked Shippers, thousands of miles without punctures isn't unusual for M+ users. In fact it seems to be more the norm than otherwise. People actually mention M+ punctures because they're are so rare and it's normally something pretty dastardly that's caused it. The fact that you find nothing in the tyre is surprising. Anything big enough to go through an M+, at the apex, is pretty noticeable.

Wocce Racer

I used Conti GP4000's all year for the last few years with only five punctures (checked the diary, sad git that I am!). This winter I thought that I would up the anti and get Conti Gator Skins with a bit more puncture protection. I have had two punctures in the three weeks that I have been using them!

I have always thought that punctures are down to luck!

ACW

Schwalbe marathon racers! easy to fit but with my rims i have to blow the tyres on to the rim by overinflating them to 80-100 psi bit of a problem when you dont have a track pump. 1500miles 2 punctures

shippers

pffffffft!
But I did find the bit of glass embedded in my tyre. Possibe that I'd missed it before- that's what you get for cycling in the dark through areas infested with student bars!

No more punctures ever again for me then

;)

Top Bottom