The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

Basically I'm starting a new job in a place where I will have to spend most of the day outdoors in freezing -10c ,up to -30c weather with high winds and some occasional cold rain to top it all off...and I need some Protection in a form of excellent windbreaker/something waterproof as well with good hood and overall just excellent build quality. I'm too Poor to buy the cheap stuff ,so need something good that will last me for a while and will do its job.

My current combo Is a merino baselayer/ 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters/ light down jacket , now I need something to go over all that so the damn Wind doesn't blows away all the warmth I have inside and just creates a nice environment to be in. I will be riding my bike as well sometimes so need something that isn't super bulky and you still got good range of motion.
What brands/exact models would you suggest for a task like this?
Have never bought stuff like this before so Have no idea whatsoever what is good and what's not...

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You don’t need a jacket. You need another job! Crazy stuff.

Have a look at these Kiwi coats. I use them for work (gardener) and managed to find them for around £80 here in the UK.

https://www.ridgeline.co.nz/ridgeline/jackets/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I assume this isn't the UK? What do the other people in the intended area of work use/wear. I think that would be a good start. Most suggestions from anyone in the UK are likely to be either pointless or completely unsuitable!

OP
OP
I

itaa

I assume this isn't the UK? What do the other people in the intended area of work use/wear. I think that would be a good start. Most suggestions from anyone in the UK are likely to be either pointless or completely unsuitable!

not UK, most of the locals just drink a lot of Alcohol to keep ''warm'' and wear super thick coats or just sit indoors most of the days, however with that combo...
they get wet all the time...they are really really bulky and can't shed any layers to regulate the heat.
With the combo I mentioned earlier: merino baselayer/ 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters/ light down jacket It's just fine even in -20c and you aren't bulky at all , but the $hit gets real when the wind starts and the rain soaks up your Down and they become less effective... I want to block the wind and the nasty stuff in its tracks, I'm not really that worried about the cold itself.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
When I used to work in a cold place, we used ventile smocks, with a loose fit & drawcords at waist and lower hem (crotch level). As you say, if you can keep the wind out, you don't need masses of layers underneath, unless you are inactive. However, rain wasn't a problem for us, so we used single layer ventile, which isn't properly waterproof.

I'd look at Hilltrek, and emphasize the loose fit.
http://hilltrek.co.uk/clothing/smocks/cruachan-dv-extreme-smock/
http://hilltrek.co.uk/clothing/smocks/liathach-natural-smock/
http://hilltrek.co.uk/clothing/jackets/askival-jacket/

Note that ventile does get heavier and stiffer when it's wet.

Love that 1930's "Wonder Fabric". It was only recently that my RAFMRT Ventile Smock issued in 1968 finally gave up. For cycling use single mid weight ventile which is not weatherproof. For hill-walking double ventile which is weatherproof. Works by the fibres absorbing water hence they become stiff. Downside is the heavier Ventile is both bulky and heavy. Saved many WW2 Single Use Fighter Pilots who ditched in the Atlantic on convoy duty. Of course it was invented in Manchester.

Has been mainly superceeded by the "gortex" type of weatherproof coating now

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes double Ventile was revered in the 60s and 70s before some bloke invented the Peter Storm nylon cagoule. Then people realised that you got as wet inside as outside with condensation and the search was on for breathability.

FWIW I bought a Sprayway Goretex cycling jacket in 1993 and it's still going strong despite me having reproofed it with Thomson's Water Seal, which actually made it better than ever.

Top Bottom