The Biggest Sacrifice You've Made !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Not cycling, but I once passed up a free Virgin flight anywhere coming back from LA when they were overbooked (I would've had to wait 24 hours for the next one) because I had to get back to work. When I got back to work, they said 'of course, you should've done it.........' :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Giving up a trip to Disneyland, ooh, a hard one that. Tell you what, I'll sacrifice being slapped about the face repeatedly with a large rotten fish, and then we're even. :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
gezza said:
whats the biggest sacrifice you've made either in cycling or in general ??
I pretty much sacrificed a year of my life to be able to go to university.

My LEA refused to give me a grant for my first year of study**, my parents couldn't afford to help me, and this was in the days before student loans. I had to save the money myself but that was a bit of a problem for two reasons:
  1. I was in my mid-twenties and going out most nights. I spent all the money I was earning.
  2. I wasn't earning enough!
So... while all my mates were buying cars, going on holidays, picking up women, going to concerts etc. etc., I switched over to a 50-60 hour night shift for a year. I worked hard, I earned lots of money and I didn't have the time to spend it! I saved £75 a week which was good going for unskilled work in 1983/4.

** because I'd had a poxy £300 grant 9 years earlier

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Gave up 2 yrs of free time (and kids' growing up) to write 2 books (was working full time) related to my job. Was rewarded with redundancy! However, I still get royalties, and the job loss made me re-assess life, get happy and move to a much nicer part of the universe!
It must be said that Mrs F also made a lot of sacrifices to enable me to sit there bashing away on the keyboard* for 2 yrs...

*[anticipating jokes about what might have been on the screen] (yes, yes, har har har, very funny):ohmy:

Aint Skeered

Gezza your mental mate, it's a sportive FFS ( 'Sportive, a group of mainly overweight cyclists, and some women, poncing about, pretending to be racers')
You could easily work your training in around this jolly, or have you made this sacrifice to show everybody how dedicated you are?

yenrod

gezza said:
i am giving up a freebie weekend:sad:,an all expenses paid trip:sad:,first class on Eurostar:sad:,4* hotel :tongue:, all food :biggrin:,drinks :biggrin:,priority passes:sad: etc to Disneyland Paris so that i can train for the etape this year

whats the biggest sacrifice you've made either in cycling or in general ??

So would I : the etape is know laughing matter!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I once turned down a beer because I had a TT the next day. I figured three was enough, and I could just about manage without another. Although I was a bit bored for the last 30 minutes of the evening.

Aint Skeered said:
Gezza your mental mate, it's a sportive FFS ( 'Sportive, a group of mainly overweight cyclists, and some women, poncing about, pretending to be racers')
You could easily work your training in around this jolly, or have you made this sacrifice to show everybody how dedicated you are?

basically yes,i was 21stone 9lbs last year and given the stark warning that i will be dead by the time i am 45 !!!! so i decided to do something about it ,coupled with the fact that i had reached the end of my remission for Cancer,perfect opportunity to sort of celebrate!!!, i've had a lot of help from my Cycling club(kingston wheelers),mum & dad, sponsorship money,hopefully be in the local rag etc etc,.i have never done anything remotely sporting before,so i dont want to let people down,SHOULD I complete the etape i am being offered the use of my parents friends flat in Fort Lauderdale for 2/3 weeks for nothing :wacko:!!! i suppose its a small price to pay !!!!

p.s now weigh 17stone and its all down to sensible eating and cycling xx(

Disgruntled Goat said:
Having kids.

Even worse is having kids when all your friends aren't having any. So, you're on one income, totally exhausted with sleepless nights and tied down, while they're bemused at your predicament and nipping off on a bargain skiing holiday.

Top Bottom