The Budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I brew my own beer, so no issues there.

I don't pay NI, no problems there.

Pipe tobacco duty remains unchanged, so thats dandy.

I don't burn much diesel, and oil prices are doing there what the government didn't.

Don't earn a wage, so the minimum wage rise doesn't apply.

None of it directly affects me, so pretty much a non event at Drago Towers. Just as well as my interest in that which goes on in parliament is somewhere south of zero.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What will happen to the price of cigarettes?
The price of tobacco products is increasing immediately after Wednesday’s budget.

An increase of 88p will be added to the most expensive cigarettes, meaning their cost will increase from £12.73 to just over £13.60.

The cheapest packs of 20 cigarettes will see 63p added, meaning their go up from £9.10 to £9.73.

Rolling tobacco will also be hit – and cost of a 30g bag will increase from £8.14 to £9.02.

Duty rates on all tobacco products will increase by RPI inflation plus 2 per cent and hand-rolling tobacco by RPI plus 6 per cent.

68 pence per cigarette now!!!:ohmy:

Chislenko

Veteran
I have often found it curious when 1p tax goes on a pint, today 3p coming off as in real life it doesn't work that way.

A pint nowadays goes up in multiples of 5p more often 10p.

(It is many years in my experience since I have bought a pint that didn't end in a round figure)

I feel sure the end user (the beer drinker) will not see any reduction but the cut will just help the margin of the publican.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wonder if the chancellor (whoever it is and no matter which political party) actually sits down and works out the whole budget them self. Or do they have many economists doing it for them, or at least strongly advising them?🤔

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wonder if the chancellor (whoever it is and no matter which political party) actually sits down and works out the whole budget them self. Or do they have many economists doing it for them, or at least strongly advising them?🤔
Loads of economists being asked loads of "what if we ...?" questions by the ministers, making loads of forecasts, explaining lots of likely consequences to the ministers.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a dozen or more Government departments, not least the Treasury. Presumably you’ve heard of the civil service who staff said departments? :scratch:

Drago

Legendary Member
If you believe the Express the only thing they staff is their Peloton bikes at home.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

They have obviously messed up a formula in excel somewhere. Not sure how they are going to pay for this budget.:laugh:

DRM

Guru
What will happen to the price of cigarettes?
The price of tobacco products is increasing immediately after Wednesday’s budget.

An increase of 88p will be added to the most expensive cigarettes, meaning their cost will increase from £12.73 to just over £13.60.

The cheapest packs of 20 cigarettes will see 63p added, meaning their go up from £9.10 to £9.73.

Rolling tobacco will also be hit – and cost of a 30g bag will increase from £8.14 to £9.02.

Duty rates on all tobacco products will increase by RPI inflation plus 2 per cent and hand-rolling tobacco by RPI plus 6 per cent.

68 pence per cigarette now!!!:ohmy:
Blimey, that really is burning money, I've never understood people willingly paying earlier prices never mind that much, the most expensive ones gives you a £9928 a year habit at 40 per day, ouch

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey, that really is burning money, I've never understood people willingly paying earlier prices never mind that much, the most expensive ones gives you a £9928 a year habit at 40 per day, ouch

'Rolling tobacco will also be hit – and cost of a 30g bag will increase from £8.14 to £9.02.'

I wonder where they got these prices from. I ask roll up smokers how much they pay and how much do they smoke. Even a couple of years ago rolling tobacco was over £10 for 30 grammes. Naively i'd ask how many weeks the tobacco would last. Most would laugh and say, 'not weeks but days'! One bloke i asked the other week said he does four 30 gram packets a week at £14 a packet!!!:ohmy:

Top Bottom