The call for the Land Army

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well it's fast enough growing that you might get a crop before the cabbage whites arrive.

And the four year old could spend happy times picking off all the caterpillars to stock her / his 'Caterpillar Zoo' :rolleyes:
I did promise her we'd go out catching grasshoppers in the summer, so if we're still stuck at home, a caterpillar zoo might be a good idea.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mmm, maybe, but there's a lot of youngsters not being able to get to the gym now.

They can come back to the land, and maintain their training, doing something useful, for a change.

Everyday is leg, and back, and arms day :rolleyes:

The average age of the users in the gym I use would be fifty at least, I am on talking terms with many in their seventies. My brother and his wife joined Woodhall Spa gym 3 weeks ago, first time they have ever set foot in one, she is 75 and he 85.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The average age of the users in the gym I use would be fifty at least, I am on talking terms with many in their seventies. My brother and his wife joined Woodhall Spa gym 3 weeks ago, first time they have ever set foot in one, she is 75 and he 85.

Well, fifty, is barely getting started :rolleyes:

I had a yoga student start with me last year, aged 87..
She was well p****d off when we had to pack it in for a bit. :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
You have to remember there was a very successful system of temporary labour in place in the 1970s and 1980s, shame we cant get some of that back.
Uni students would flood the market looking for a few weeks income during the summer. Do they do that still ? but into different areas / jobs now ?
Gang labour used to provide hundreds of workers at a former employer...mostly rough fellas, the kind of guys from poorer parrs of the city but they were good workers. There was a kinship among them, mates, family members etc....it all used to work.

Perhaps I'm going to answer my own question now...but there are more and more British workers using the big temporary labour providers now. A few years ago if you were British youd struggle to get regular work through our provider, I've seen it myself, other nationalities get preference, I've had several discussions with British guys who found themselves in that situation. Perhaps those providers are turning back to a more traditional source of labour now they have to, we are seeing more British workers in our industry using labour providers, something that hasn't been happening for decades.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Community service? Get caught violating distancing rules and you get a fortnight in the strawberry fields of Kent.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think those Wilko seeds are leftovers from last year
Last year? I've been planting seeds that are about a decade old. Maybe @mudsticks can give us an idea of how long they actually last. They germinated pretty well a couple of years ago, didn't sow any last year as we were too busy growing an actual person.

Julia9054

Guru
Following the links, there doesn’t seem to be anything in my area. I am currently in lockdown with a 21 year old climber and general outdoorsy type who is bouncing off the walls. Any outdoor work would be perfect for him. He has applied for 4 supermarket jobs - none have got back to him.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Nearest i've ever come to agricultural work, was grape picking in France that i did one summer. It wasn't hard strenuous work, but me being tall it did affect my back the constant bending down to cut the grapes. After a few weeks i got the job of taking the grapes back to the cart by the tractor. This was done with large bucket that you would wear like a rucksack. Much better for me to be working upright there after that.
My back is totally fooked these days, but that's more likely from all the years i worked in the building trade and also handballing loads of trucks i also drove. Much physical work when you're younger often always catches up with you in later life.
Last year? I've been planting seeds that are about a decade old. Maybe @mudsticks can give us an idea of how long they actually last. They germinated pretty well a couple of years ago, didn't sow any last year as we were too busy growing an actual person.

Depends on the type of seed..
And how they've been stored.
I keep mine in a decommissioned upright freezer.
To keep things cool and dry.

The drawers make sorting for variety easier.

Seed viability depends on type,

But as a general rule umbellifers - carrots - parsnip fennel etc, use fresh seeds each year.

Beans and peas I wouldn't bother with anything much older than 2 yr old.

Tom's maybe three.

Brassicas you can push it to five.

As a general rule the fresher the better.

But if its just for home gardening, and the seed is old, sow more, and you might get some.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Depends on the type of seed..
And how they've been stored.
I keep mine in a decommissioned upright freezer.
To keep things cool and dry.

The drawers make sorting for variety easier.

Seed viability depends on type,

But as a general rule umbellifers - carrots - parsnip fennel etc, use fresh seeds each year.

Beans and peas I wouldn't bother with anything much older than 2 yr old.

Tom's maybe three.

Brassicas you can push it to five.

As a general rule the fresher the better.

But if its just for home gardening, and the seed is old, sow more, and you might get some.
Umbellifers. That's a lovely word.

I keep my seeds in an old ice cream tub under the kitchen sink if that helps...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Umbellifers. That's a lovely word.

I keep my seeds in an old ice cream tub under the kitchen sink if that helps...

It is isn't it..

And I forgot to mention the cucurbits..
Not more than 4 years, if possible.

Possibly a bit damp, under the sink..

Under the bed might be better - so long as your house, is mouse free.

Still, either, is better than the greenhouse, which is often where you see seed 'stored'

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is isn't it..

And I forgot to mention the cucurbits..
Not more than 4 years, if possible.

Possibly a bit damp, under the sink..

Under the bed might be better - so long as your house, is mouse free.

Still, either, is better than the greenhouse, which is often where you see seed 'stored'
We're mouse free, but I have noticed a couple of slugs recently. I thought we'd finally managed to move into a slug free house as I hadn't seen any since we moved in a couple of years ago. I wonder if the recent wet weather encouraged them to move in under the house or something.

I hate slugs in the same way I love my children. Absolutely, perpetually and unconditionally.

Top Bottom